Full volume extract boil with specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High5Brewing

Reaction score
When doing an full boil on an extract recipe that includes specialty grains, what are best steps to take? I have read in BYO that it is best to steep the specialty grains in a small amount of water. Should you top off the water to full boil level right after steeping, then wait until the temp reaches boiling to add in the extract? Does the temp of the water you add matter?

Example steps:

1. Collect 2.5 Gallons of water
2. Steep grains for 20 min between 150F & 170F
3. Remove & Rinse grains (what temp of water?)
4. Fill kettle to full boil volume (does water temp matter here?)
5. Add extract, hop additions, etc.

Does this sound right? Should I just be steeping the grains in the full volume instead?

1. yes
2. yes-160 is best
3.Hot water
4.If you add very hot water it takes less time to get to boil:)
5.Add 1/2 extract with low heat so you do not scorch
6. Last 15 minutes, add remainder of extract-called a late addition, helps to keep color of beer lighter, again-low heat to prevent scorching
7. finish boil!

Should I just be steeping the grains in the full volume instead?

Steeping the specialty grains in full volume leads to extracting Tannin and the Beer will have extremely husky after-taste .

Always keep the water to grain ratio by the time of steeping below 3 qts/lb .

Hector

Or, collect 2.5 gal of water,put steeping grains in mesh bag, put in water. Slowly bring water temp to 160 (over 20 minutes or so) remove bag, let drain into water without squeezing, (some squeeze) bring water to boil, remove from heat, add LME (or DME) add 60 minute hops, bring back to boil. Add hop additions at recommended minutes. At end of boil begin cooling (water bath, or immersion cooler)when below 100 degrees add to primary, add water to bring volume to 5-5.25 gal. Check specific gravity, write it down. Add yeast or starter when wort temp is between 70-75, attach cover, blow off, or air lock (I recommend blow off) place primary in 60 to 70 degree room for the first 3-5 days, after that no more than 75 degrees for another week. Check gravity every other day until it is the same 3 times in a row. Then follow the bottling instructions. Have fun, relax, it's a hobby, every mistake you make is a learning experience (most of which you can drink). It keeps getting better, and easier. That's how it's been for me, still a noob, but 70 gallons in, way more relaxed, and enjoying some nice brews :mug:

CBXBob, I like how you mapped out the plan in your post. As a fellow noob, with kids, always looking to make things easier. But a question... in between the grain drain and the full boil, you're adding water to bring it up to full volume, yes?

Steeping the specialty grains in full volume leads to extracting Tannin and the Beer will have extremely husky after-taste .

Always keep the water to grain ratio by the time of steeping below 3 qts/lb .

Hector

I thought high temperature was what leads to extracting Tannin as in don't steep above 170 degrees.

I don't see how steeping in 5 gallons of 150 degree water would be any different than steeping in 2.5 gallons of 150 degree water as far as extracting Tanins goes...

FWIW, I have an 8 gallon kettle and I always start with 6-6.5 gallons of water that I steep my grains in and my beers have all turned out great. I've also heard that you get better hop utilization doing a full boil as opposed to a partial boil.

I've read a lot of literature suggesting that steeping in full volume doesn't allow the ph of the water to drop enough to prevent tannins, which is why people advocate smaller steeping volumes.

However lots of people on this site say they've noticed no difference. I started steeping in low volumes simultaneously with campden tablets so not sure which fixed my issue...but I'm sticking with both for now haha

I thought high temperature was what leads to extracting Tannin as in don't steep above 170 degrees.

Temperature and pH affect Tannin extraction .

The red line is pH 6 .

When you steep your specialty grains in a huge volume of water ( more than 1 gallon/lb ) , the pH is above 6 and it leads to Tannin extraction even if you keep the temperature below 170 F .

It's my personal experience . I had astringency and husky after-taste by my previous batches , although I had always kept the temperature by steeping around 160 F .

Hector

hector said:
Temperature and pH affect Tannin extraction .

The red line is pH 6 .

When you steep your specialty grains in a huge volume of water ( more than 1 gallon/lb ) , the pH is above 6 and it leads to Tannin extraction even if you keep the temperature below 170 F .

It's my personal experience . I had astringency and husky after-taste by my previous batches , although I had always kept the temperature by steeping around 160 F .

Hector

Better explanation of what I was trying to say :mug:

I was thinking about this some more and I used to go to a BOP facility south of Cleveland before I got into homebrewing. They used very large kettles (not sure how many gallons they hold but a batch size usually yielded around 72 twenty two oz bottles) but we always steeped our grains in large volumes of water there and never had any issues. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Back