Full volume AG dry run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
I just gave up with my "dry run" with my AG setup.

I had planned on boiling in my 15.5 gal keg using my Bayou Classic SP-50.

Two issues:

1. I put the flame as high as I was comftrable with. Even though it wasnt maxed out I had flames coming out of the burner and running up the side of the keg. Needless to say this made me very uncomftrable.

2. After an hour of turning up the flame as I became comfy, to the point that it was almost maxed out, I had a whole 30 degree increase in temp.

Anyone have any experience with the SP-50?

Do I need to grow a pair and drag this thing out in the middle of the yard and let her rip and just be cool with flames shooting up the side of the keg?

I'm honestly pretty disappointed, as I expeceted the flame to be a little more controlled with this unit. Opposed to some huge ol flame blowing as the wind takes it.

Sorry, this post is rushed...SWMBO is keeping the baby boy occupied as I type. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

But HELP!

Lol point taken.

However, is it normal to have flames shooting 5-6 inches up the side of the keg?

BBKing said:
Lol point taken.

However, is it normal to have flames shooting 5-6 inches up the side of the keg?

When I have my burner running full bore, which is only when trying to reach boiling, or heating mash/sparge water, flames shoot up a good 3" around my 30 qt pot. Has never caused any harm. I just push the side of the pot with the ball valve against the burner stand to keep the flames off the valve.

Alright, that makes me feel better.

Guess tomorrow I'll put on my big boy pants and "let 'er rip". Thanks

While doing my first AG this past weekend the paint cooked off the burner first leaving quite the sent and some smoke in the air after 15 minutes when it finished it was fine. Swmbo was freaking but a usual I told her to call down and go inside " invade I blow up the keg" haha

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

most fryers are painted non-heat-proof black. a few minutes of flame cures that dumba@@ maneuver, but stinks.

Yeah, I still smell. SWMBO is sitting across the room from me at the moment.

the less red/orange and the more blue the flame the better. you need to find a happy mixture of air/propane to create a nice blue flame that wont put itself out.

Blue flames are much hotter than red/orange flames. and more efficient.

Latest posts

Back