Full or partial boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
So, I'm going for my first brew day in over 20 years. I've geared up and have got everything I think I need. Question: I've got a 10 gallon kettle, so should I go for a full boil? My kit says to start with 2 1/2 gallons and then top off. What would you guys recommend for me to do? I've read full boils are the better way to go, and seems like it might be easier since ill leave one step out of the process. I guess a boil over might be easier to happen since pot is fuller? thanks!plowill

Go full boil definitely. But, if you have steeping grains make sure you steep them in 1.5 to 2 gallons before you top it off up to 5 gallons and add your extract. The reason is if you steep your grains in the full five gallons the PH will likely be too high for the grain to water ratio and it will extract tannins. So steep, add the DME/LME and then top up to 5.5 or 6 gallons and start your boil.

A full boil is definitely preferable- but make sure you can chill 5 gallons of boiling wort! It's not hard to chill 2 gallons of boiling wort in an ice bath, but 5 gallons takes a lot longer as well as being heavy and harder to chill.

I do 5 gallon full boil batches in a 7.5 gallon pot and have managed to avoid a boil over so far. I have to watch it like a hawk, but no issues yet. So 10 gallon pot, as long as you pay attention, you should have no issues with boil overs even with full boils.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'm gonna go for a full boil. Hopefully the wort chiller I got will be adequate enough to cool the wort down, we don't have an ice maker!

Back