Full Boil ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmink311

Reaction score
I am now doing PM and have recently purchased an 8 gallon pot. The recipes I get from AHS call for only a partial boil. How can I make up the extra 2 1/2 gallons? Should I just pour the extra water in the pot pre-boil or should I sparge more to make up the extra volume? I have built me a 2 gallon MLT from one of the posts here.I am currently not equipped to do AG. Any good advice would be very much appreciated... :mug:

You still do your mash in the recommended amount of water, as that is important. After the mash, you sparge the grains with 170 degree water, and then you can add water to bring your pot up to 6 gallons before you boil.

(The exact amount of the mash water and the sparge water depend on the amount of grains, so I can't give you an exact amount until you post the recipe, but that's the general idea).

Keep in mind that you might want to decrease your hops, because a full boil will increase your hops utilization. If you have brewing software, that's super easy to do, or ask one of us to run it through our software for you. Generally speaking, you'll decrease your bittering hops by about 25%.

Thanks YooperBrew, so I should stick to the recipe for sparging also(don't do e
xtra times) and just pour plain water in the pot before boiling. here is my recipe: Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock (Schneider)
- Yeast Option: Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3056
- Beer Bottle Caps: Yes
- Priming Sugar: Include Priming Sugar
- BrewVint Yeast Fuel: No Thanks
- 1% Alcohol Boost: No Thanks
- Ice Pack: Yes
- Kit Option: Mini-Mash
I have wyeast yeast nutrient,that is why i turned down the yeast fuel.

Yes, use the recommended amount of water for the mash and the sparge. Also, when you get the kit, we can run the exact ingredients in Beersmith or Promash for you and help you with the hopping.

ok had to get home to look at the recipe. 3 lbs. base grains and 1 lb. of specialty grains, 8 1/2 lbs. of wheat LME. hops are called hersbrucker (german) 3.8 alpha acid. 2 oz. total calls for 1 1/2 at 60 and 1/2 at 15. let me know if you need anything else. and thanks again,it sure is nice to be able to get such good advice from experienced brewers...

Get yourself a trial copy of Promash and enter the ingredients as you have listed and you will get all the info you are looking for.

Probably some more on top of that! :)

Cheers,

Back