Full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
I'm doing my last all grain batch this weekend, but it will also be my first full boil.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should start out with for water on this, volume wise? I was thinking 6.5 gallons to end up with a 5 gallon batch, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Uh, do you mean your FIRST all grain batch, or your last EXTRACT batch? You would really want to end up with about 5.5 gal, to acount for any dead space and loss when racking so i would start out with 7 gal if you are anticipating a gallon and a half of boil off.

Cheers

I believe with all grain it depends on your efficiency. If you add to much water you will hurt your OG. I guess you have to figure that into your intial math of how much grain to buy. Other then that the boil is the boil so you want to start with 6+ gallons to end with 5.

No thats alright, just make sure to adjust your hops accordingly too. You will get more utilization in a full boil then in a partial boil.

cheers

If you can do 6.5 gallons and boil down to 5.5 that is about right. Then you have 0.5 gallon to "lose" before bottling. I tend to lose a little more than that but it is pretty close to 5 in the keg.

kmlavoy said:
I'm doing my last all grain batch this weekend, but it will also be my first full boil.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should start out with for water on this, volume wise? I was thinking 6.5 gallons to end up with a 5 gallon batch, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

so last extract batch w/ first full boil. What you are asking about is evaporation rate.

I would start off with 6 gallons, boil for an hour and see what you end with. Top off to get up to 5 gallons. That will let you figure out your evap rate is for this boil and use that info for your AG batches.

The boiloff rate really depends on the geometry of your kettle. Short and squat evaporates more than tall and thin (more surface area). I have a Polarthem type kettle (tall and thin) and I lose about a gallon during the boil. If youhave a shorter pot you may lose 1.5 gallons or more depending on how hot you boil.

Experimentation is the only way to accurately guage water loss.

Hey Folks,

all I've ever done is extract so I'm learning here
can't you just do the boil and then top off to compensate for what you lose?

Dave

you can but you get better hop utilization, less twang and less carmelization of your wort by doing full boils.

drobbins said:
Hey Folks,

Dave

When extract brewing, yes. With AG it is a little more complicated since your dealing with different extract efficiancies, needing to determine pre boil/post boil volumes, ect.

drobbins said:
Hey Folks,

Dave
Just guessing, but I think what Dave is suggesting is do the full boil with a 'pretty close' amount of water, and to the extent you're short the target volume due to evaporation, just top off that last little bit with extra water.

Back