Full Boil vs 1.5 gal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Guys,

I have about 10 or more brews behind me now and I am looking for a turkey cooker, i do have a question, in allot of the recipies it calls for about 1.5 gal in the brewpot and then add to the carboy with 3 gal of water, i do hear about the fact that a full boil is the way to go, if I buy a large turkey pot and cooker SS do I just use the same recipe with all five gal?

Just wondering what you guys do, I am not into making the mash yet but i do like the thouhgt of being able to boil more water

I've mentioned this before, but recipes don't necessarily "call for" anything, really. They are merely a "note" on what the brewer did at that time.

Meaning, you could get the same recipe from another person who will "note" that they did a full boil. ;)

Technically, a full boil IS the way to go because it virtually eliminates any carmelization, barring you mix up any LME/DME before it burns on the bottom.

Thanks guys for the input, I read all the posts and the past posts and it seems the jury is still out, it seems to me that a full boil has got to be better, the hops and steeping grains are boiled into all the water and for nothing else all the water is boiled for one more safe guard for sanitation

Any more input is appriciated, I think I will start hunting for a SS turkey pot and burner

Nice Thread, I think I am going to move to Full Boil there too. Do you have to do anything to the turkey pot before you can use it for brewing?

I checked for pots and fryers and the 30 quart SS with the burner run around 170, but i think it is worth it since you can use the cooker for other things too, the best one I seen was the beyou classic which is most likly spelled wrong

After doing some checking the SS kits are allot more, like 170 vs 80 for the same thing in a AL pot

Are any of you guys using the AL pots?

Are they ok?

I know SS must be better but is it worth 100 bucks?

you are going to find differing opinions on SS vs. AL vs. porcelain. I have heard that even the experts in homebrewing disagree. Im not going to mention which I use now, because it really doesnt matter since someone else will disagree with me...but what I will say is that I have used all three and not had off flavors from any of them

.....if I buy a large turkey pot and cooker SS do I just use the same recipe with all five gal?

To answer this part of your question, if you're using a recipe written for a 1.5 gallon boil and converting it to a full boil, you need to account for much higher hop utilization with the latter (i.e. you'll use less hops with the full boil to achieve the same bitterness). It's simple to figure out, just use one of the brewing programs out there, enter the recipe and scale the hop additions to hit the same IBUs as called for in the original recipe (if no ibus are stated, you can enter is as a 1.5 boil, check the IBUs and then enter as a 5 gallon...for some software, it's a matter of hitting a button to scale the recipe). Note that aroma hops should stay the same... Everything else (grains, extract, etc) in the recipe can stay the same.

Back