Full boil ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gallon brew pot and do partial boils using the LEA method. But now I just picked up a 12in x 16in stainless steel turkey pot(size anyone?) from craigslist($7) and wanted to know if there was any reason why I could not use it as a second brew pot to start doing a full boil split between the two pots? Also, if I am doing a full boil this way is there any benefit to doing the LEA method anymore?

I would try and clean the heck out of the pot to make sure all the oil is gone.

Yeah, i've done that before on my kitchen stove to do 2 boils for the total volume (i.e. no top off water needed to get to 5 gallons in the primary)

aside from cleaning it thoroughly, just split ingredients evenly. no need for late addition for hop utilization, but late addition will still lighten the beer color.

make a MLT and you'd be able to do some all grain brewing too.

Around how much water do I need to start off with?

Any special way of cleaning it thoroughly?

Anyone know the volume formula so I can calculate its size? I wasnt sure if the smaller surface area would affect anything, will it?

The volume would be

The radius of the pot squared times pi(3.1415...) times the height

(Radius)^2 x 3.1415... x (height)

There are 57.75 cubic inches in a quart so what ever you get from the equation above divided by 57.75 and thats how big it is in quarts.

As for cleaning it I would soak it in Oxyclean for a day or so then just scrub it really well.

Around how much water do I need to start off with?

Any special way of cleaning it thoroughly?

Anyone know the volume formula so I can calculate its size? I wasnt sure if the smaller surface area would affect anything, will it?

You can start with whatever size volume your pot can hold. It depends on the size of the pot. If it's a 30 quart, you can boil 6 gallons or so. If it's bigger, you can boil more.

I'd clean it with oxyclean, and rinse well, with super hot water. See if any oily residue remains.

Mine has an engraved brand on the bottom saying "30 quarts". Maybe yours does too?

Thanks to flintlocks formula it is aprox 7.8 gallons. So if I were to do a full boil with it how much do you usually start with so that you finish with 5 1/4? Also, since it is a narrow but tall pot is there any potential scorching problem? or any problems because of a smaller then usual surface area? or no more so then a regular wide brew pot?

Thanks for the quick reply's everyone!

It depends on your boil time. If its 60 minutes then you need just over 6 gallons to end up with 5 1/4 if its a 90 minute then you need just under 6.5.

I would say just go a little over 6, and then you might just need to top it off a little when you put it in the primary.

Back