Full Boil questions - nOOb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBone

Reaction score
Would you use a full boil, even if you were just going to do a basic extract brew, or is the advantage only when you begin doing more advanced techniques?

TheBone said:
Would you use a full boil, even if you were just going to do a basic extract brew, or is the advantage only when you begin doing more advanced techniques?

The advantage to a full boil will come in the hop utilization. More water = better utilization. Also, if you're doing extract brewing and you add your extract early on, it won't darken as much.

Agreed. Better hop utilization and less of a chance of carmelization flavors from a condensed boil. Color will be lighter too.

I have looked and didn't find full/partial boil on any brewing terms list. Am I right to assume that a full boil means you boil all 5 gallons (or whatever amount) and in a partial boil you only boil a portion and add the rest of the water later?

Anyone care to correct me?

9/9 said:
I have looked and didn't find full/partial boil on any brewing terms list. Am I right to assume that a full boil means you boil all 5 gallons (or whatever amount) and in a partial boil you only boil a portion and add the rest of the water later?

Anyone care to correct me?

Pretty much dead on there 9/9. The actual amount for a five gallon batch would actually be more than that, because for a full boil the goal is to have your batch size at the end of the boil. This is where you get to do "cool" things like figure out evaporation rate, etc...

weetodd said:
Agreed. Better hop utilization and less of a chance of carmelization flavors from a condensed boil. Color will be lighter too.

+1
You will also get much less extract twang

Back