Full boil question/help..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Doing an american pale ale and wanna try a full boil on her, its the last kit i have laying around before going all grain. I figure it will help me a bit doing all grain so i wanna try.

recipe:

6.6lbs Briess golden light (3.3lbs late addition)
1lbs of crushed caramal 20l malt (steeping grains)
2 oz. cascade bittering hops AA 6.4% 60 or 45 end of boil?
1.5 oz. willamette aroma hops AA 6.0% 5 min end of boil
35 ibus give or take
OG 1.052-54

Basicly what i need to know is if i do a 5.88-6 gallon boil how much of each hop addition will I need. I have a Blichmann 10 gallon BK if thats important for boil off. I wanna dry hop this one and probably was thinking .5 oz of centennial pellets in primary at week 2 of the ferm stage. (leave for 10 days)

I tried this one before but with the 2.5 boil and i feel like it lost its bittering and aroma after 4 weeks in the bottles, would like to kick it up a bit but not over powereing. Any help would be appreciated:)

I tried to enter it into promash but theres no option for pellet hops on my program. And the ibus did not match the recipe at all:(

Thanks in advance..

here we go :)

first, promash definately has some option to add hops, despite whatever aa the hop is...look for some way to adjust the aa's when entering the hops into the recipe, and it doesn't matter that it is pellet or whole.

once you enter the aa's of the hops, you can adjust the recipe to hit a final ibu and it will automatically tell you how much less or more hops to add.

if you really want to get technical, you can even adjust your hops for their condition given age and storage methods.

we pretty much have to assume a 60 minute boil here, and the bittering hops at the beginnning mark which is 60 minutes.

i would definately do the willamete at 5 inutes before end of boil.

the blichman doesn't have a thing to do with boil off(congrats on the blichman though)

dry hopping sounds good if you like hops that much(and I do), but .5 oz seems low. I usually dry hop with the same amount that I aroma hop. I think that the pellets work, but contain them somehow in a mesh bag or something. I feel 7 days is the norm.

Okay, so i found the pellet hops and changed the AA. Now, for a 6 gallon full boil does this seem right for this receipe?

Willamette 0.75oz
Cascade 0.50oz

total ibu's 37

That dont seem like alot of hops if ya ask me, is it the more wort ya boil the less hops ya need? just kinda confused, any advice would be fantastic:)

the amount of hops are a direct relation between the aa of the hop and the desired ibu and the time that they are boiled.

60 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 5 gallon batch gets you 27 ibu's
60 minute boil of 1oz of 10 aa hops in a 5 gallon batch gets you 54 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 5 gallon batch gets you 13.4 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 10 aa hop in a 5 gallon batch gets you 26.8 ibu's
and just to show volume
60 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 10 gallon batch gets you 13.5 ibu's
60 minute boil of 1oz of 10 aa hops in a 10 gallon batch gets you 27 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 10 gallon batch gets you 6.7 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 10 aa hop in a 10 gallon batch gets you 13.4 ibu's

the amount of hops are a direct relation between the aa of the hop and the desired ibu and the time that they are boiled.

60 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 5 gallon batch gets you 27 ibu's
60 minute boil of 1oz of 10 aa hops in a 5 gallon batch gets you 54 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 5 gallon batch gets you 13.4 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 10 aa hop in a 5 gallon batch gets you 26.8 ibu's
and just to show volume
60 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 10 gallon batch gets you 13.5 ibu's
60 minute boil of 1oz of 10 aa hops in a 10 gallon batch gets you 27 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 5 aa hop in a 10 gallon batch gets you 6.7 ibu's
15 minute boil of 1oz of a 10 aa hop in a 10 gallon batch gets you 13.4 ibu's

Ah yes, boil times....didnt punch that into promash..makes more sence now. Thanks a ton my friend. Just got the program so im learning as i go. Thanks again

I just started doing full boils recently and was overestimating the boil off rate by quite a bit. Last night I started with exactly 5 gallons and after a 60 min boil it was only down to around 4.75 gal. I know it depends on the humidity and ambient temp to some degree but I was still surprised at how little actually boiled off. And that was an actual boil for a new batch of beer, not just a test with plain water or something.

Unless you know for sure you need a 5.8-6 gal pre boil volume, that might too much. You can always boil longer but it will throw off your hop utilization.

I figure having to top off with an extra quart at the end is better then missing the target OG by having too much liquid at the end.

Yeah, maybe will have to run a test first. I know with a 2.5 gallon boil i boiled off exactly .5 gallons. guess will see what happens to 5.5 gallons first and go from there..

Boy, i still cant figure out how many oz of hops to use/add...I dont want to undershoot the amount but it seems really low..

with the above recipe and doing a 5.5 gallon extract boil/boil off, promash says to do 1 oz of cascade @ 60min and 1 oz of willemette at 5min or at least thats what i plugged in to acheive 34.7 ibu's. Would appreciate someone who has done full boil extract reciepies to chime in to let me know if Im heading in the right direction with the hop amounts.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't changed the hop amounts at all but I also haven't done anything really hoppy where the difference would be that noticable.

From what I've read though your hop additions would be less than what is specified in the recipe for a partial boil. In other words you're getting better hop utilization with a full boil so the amount you need to use is lower for the same IBU.

Boy, i still cant figure out how many oz of hops to use/add...I dont want to undershoot the amount but it seems really low..

with the above recipe and doing a 5.5 gallon extract boil/boil off, promash says to do 1 oz of cascade @ 60min and 1 oz of willemette at 5min or at least thats what i plugged in to acheive 34.7 ibu's. Would appreciate someone who has done full boil extract reciepies to chime in to let me know if Im heading in the right direction with the hop amounts.

Thanks in advance.

assuming the aa% of both of those hops are around 5, seems right on...

Broke down and bought beersmith, alot more user friendly than promash. I entered the same specs but the ibus are higher now. I also noticed the AA on my hops packets are different, I have 2 different manufacture packages of willemette hops and the AA are different on both, same hop different AA... Also the AA on beersmith dont match what it says on the package either, or am i completely lost whats going on...lol

Thanks for the help..

beersmith just kind of gives you an average ibu for the hops, but they change per grower and year... They are labeled on the package so that you know what the aa is when you buy them. Just enter them in seperately if you have the same hop but different aa's

there are also a couple of different methods for counting ibus, and beersmith is set to tinseth method, and i don't know what promash uses.

Back