Full boil question from a newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubastan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my 2nd batch and I had a question. I am brewing a hefeweizen 5 gallon batch. So I decided to try a full boil. I had a turkey deep fryer so I loaded 5 gallons and started my boil. I read I was suppose to start with 6 gallons to account for boil off but my pot wasn't big enough.

So I proceeded to complete my wort and after I added my LME and completed my 60 min boil very little water was boiled off. I ended up with maybe 5.1-5.2 gallons in my primary. My OG was 1.042 and the target was 1.045.

Will this effect the taste of my beer?
When I prime my beer for bottling do I need to add a little more?

Hi everyone,

This is my 2nd batch and I had a question. I am brewing a hefeweizen 5 gallon batch. So I decided to try a full boil. I had a turkey deep fryer so I loaded 5 gallons and started my boil. I read I was suppose to start with 6 gallons to account for boil off but my pot wasn't big enough.

So I proceeded to complete my wort and after I added my LME and completed my 60 min boil very little water was boiled off. I ended up with maybe 5.1-5.2 gallons in my primary. My OG was 1.042 and the target was 1.045.

Will this effect the taste of my beer?
When I prime my beer for bottling do I need to add a little more?

If you missed your OG by .003, that good. My eyes aren't even good enough to tell the difference in that small of a measurement, plus you're talking about maybe a quart difference. Maybe your fermenter measurement is off that amount- it's almost nothing!

+1 to Yooper.

Bottle and condition as normal. I'm happy when I get that close to my target gravity.

+1 as well. Those numbers are really close, so close that I won't worry at all.

As far as bottling is concerned, I've been using this calculator with good results, http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html. You'll need a digital scale to weight the priming sugar. Wheat beers can be slightly more carbontated than other beers (at least the belgian style ones are).

Back