Full boil extract/steep -- what adjustments do I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I have always done 5 gallon extract/steep recipes on my stovetop, with approx 1 gallon steep, 2.5-3 gallon boil, and then 2-2.5 gallon top-off in the fermenter.

I may be able to get access to a industrial sized stove (church kitchen) and I'm curious to try a full boil 5-gallon batch. (Don't have the equipment or expertise to try AG yet).

Do I have to make any changes to a recipe to go full-boil (as opposed to 2.5 gallon boil + top-off)? Do I steep the specialty grains in the full 5 gallons (if so, how do I get them out)?

Thanks,
chris.

You'll be happy with full boils. There are a few things to do differently. Once is to still steep your grains in the smaller volume of water. It has to do with ph and tannin extraction. So, while your grains are steeping, you can start the rest of your water to boiling and after your grains are done, lift out the bag and add your steeped water to the boiling water. That will get you to a boil faster. Then, you reduce your bittering hops by about 25%. If you have some beer software, that will help. Otherwise, post your recipe here and we'll help you adjust your hops additions.

Having just done a batch on commercial stove in a restaraunt kitchen last weekend I can honestly say that I doubt that you'll want to wait the time to boil a full 5 gallons, if even possible on your stove. It took a while for me to do 2.5 gallons in each pot. If I ever go more I'll pick up a $40 burner and stand for propane.

<edit> I noticed that you said you did 3 galon batches on your stove. I'd like to know how theheck you managed a good boil on a regular kitchen stove. I gots to get me one of those.

MikeInCtown said:
Having just done a batch on commercial stove in a restaraunt kitchen last weekend I can honestly say that I doubt that you'll want to wait the time to boil a full 5 gallons, if even possible on your stove. It took a while for me to do 2.5 gallons in each pot. If I ever go more I'll pick up a $40 burner and stand for propane.

<edit> I noticed that you said you did 3 galon batches on your stove. I'd like to know how theheck you managed a good boil on a regular kitchen stove. I gots to get me one of those.

Well, I boil 7 gallons on my kitchen stove. (See my gallery for pix). I've been doing AG for over a year, exclusively in my kitchen. It is possible, depending on your stove. Most can't, but some can!

My 'normal' kitchen stove can boil 2.5 gallons, so I used to do two pots at once, then combine at the end.

That 'commercial' stove you used might need to be cleaned or something...doesn't seem like its putting out as many btu's as it should be capable of.

But a turkey fryer is a great, cheap way to do full boils. and right now they're on sale all over the place.

I agree with the propane cooker, if for no other reason than you don't have to worry about mess so much. :)

When I do extract batches, I do full wort boils, and it's great. I do go ahead and steep the grains in five gallons of water, but I also treat that water with 5.2 buffer to avoid tannin extraction.

The two big adjustments you need to make for full wort boils are evaporation rate and (as Yooper mentioned) hop utilization. Both will rise with a full wort boil. I agree with the recommendation to get some good brewing software to help you with the hops. You'll have to figure out your new evaporation rate on your own, though. With my kettle, I typically boil off about 1.5 gallons/hr, so I start with 7.0 gallons (total volume, including extract) to end with a 5.5 gallon batch.

TL

CallMeZoot said:
I may be able to get access to a industrial sized stove (church kitchen)

That ****ing rocks, you can make Lucifer red ale!

chione said:
That ****ing rocks, you can make Lucifer red ale!

HA -- well, it's my father-in-law's church (and I don't just mean that's the church he goes to--he's the pastor so it's HIS church). So I'll probably have to keep this brew nice and tame (in name, at least) if I don't want to get disowned... Or at least if I want a chance at brewing there again.

But on the upside, he's somewhat of a beer connoisseur himself, so I'm sure he'll appreciate my donating some brews to him as long as the name won't cause him any moral conflicts...

(Although, come to think of it, I shared with him some Victory Hop Devil and he really liked it... hmmm.....)

chris.

You'll definitely need a wort chiller, a piece you may not have since you can have cold water waiting for the hot wort....

EDIT: or at least a tight fitting lid and some patience.

how to you plan on getting your beer from the church to your house for fermentation? i doubt you would want to leave it at the church... and i imagine it would be tough to transport.

jaa2m said:
how to you plan on getting your beer from the church to your house for fermentation? i doubt you would want to leave it at the church... and i imagine it would be tough to transport.

I wouldn't think it'd be tough to transport at all- ale pails have a tight fitting lid so you could just carry it. I haul mine around from the basement to the kitchen, etc, for bottling and racking and I'm a lightweight. If I can carry a bucket filled with 5 gallons, anybody could!

Extra airation possible from transport too :)

I didn't even consider anything being different when steeping for a full boil! glad i saw this then :)

I can sustain 3.5 gallon boils on my stove, and they start in about 20 minutes. What's the likely hood of stove having enough umph to boil the 7 gallon starting volume? i should look up how many BTU's it's supposed to be throwing.

Dycokac said:
Extra airation possible from transport too :)

I didn't even consider anything being different when steeping for a full boil! glad i saw this then :)

I can sustain 3.5 gallon boils on my stove, and they start in about 20 minutes. What's the likely hood of stove having enough umph to boil the 7 gallon starting volume? i should look up how many BTU's it's supposed to be throwing.

the likelihood of you being able to boil 7 gallons is almost none, I'd guess. I think I'm one of the very few who have posted about being sucessful doing it. however, you can probably boil TWO 3.5 gallon pots and just split the hops equally if your stove has two nice burners.

YooperBrew said:
I wouldn't think it'd be tough to transport at all- ale pails have a tight fitting lid so you could just carry it. I haul mine around from the basement to the kitchen, etc, for bottling and racking and I'm a lightweight. If I can carry a bucket filled with 5 gallons, anybody could!

I didn't mean actually carrying it. I meant moving it by vehicle from the church back to home for fermentation. One sudden stop in your car and you has wort everywhere...

YooperBrew said:
...and I'm a lightweight. If I can carry a bucket filled with 5 gallons, anybody could!

Seriously, she is. I fought her in UFC 13 and whipped up on her pretty good. check it out, good stuff:rockin:

You just seatbelt the carboy/pail in real tight and drive carefully. The shaking isnt all that bad for the wort at this point

malkore said:
But a turkey fryer is a great, cheap way to do full boils. and right now they're on sale all over the place.

Decided to buy a turkey fryer today. Stopped at Home Depot and bought a burner with pot for $49. Lowes is a little farther out so went there next. They had their Eastman sets on clearance for $25! Bought it and took the HD one back 30 min after I bought it.

Back