Full Boil Extract Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask

Reaction score
Hello all. BRAND new homebrewer here (not sure if I can even call myself a homebrewer yet!). I recently inherited quite a bit of home brew equipment from a friend and was hoping for some advice on how to properly get my first batch off and running.

I would like to start off by just jumping into full boil extract brewing with some steeped specialty grain. I have a recipe in mind that I am most likely going to follow to some degree. Hoping someone could help walk me through the steps to completing such a recipe...

Recipe: Full boil. 8 lbs LME. 0.6 lbs Crystal 45 malt. 0.6 lb Carapils (Dextrin) Malt. Steep grains in 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water at 165° F for 30 minutes, then remove and rinse grains with hot water. Stir in dextrose and top up kettle to 8 gallons (30 L), and bring to a boil.

I have a 10 gallon kettle and propane burner. Correct me if I'm wrong but would I first bring 1 gallon of water to 165°, add grains and steep for 30min. Then top up kettle to 8 gallons with cold or hot water? Then bring to boil and stir in extract? Where do I add/stir in the dextrose exactly? Why does the recipe mention removing/rinsing the grain?

Once extract is added I start my 90 min boil and add hop additions as stated. 90 minutes is up, cool wort to 67-68 degree and rack to primary fermenter, pitch yeast - (I have two carboys, one is 6 gallon, one is 5 gallon). I am going to dry hop a bit so would the 6 gallon be primary and 5 gallon secondary?

Thank you so so so much in advance to whomever can help. Any and all advice is welcomed!

Regards.

it sounds a bit different to me, but I don't know. Why did you select 8 gallons as your starting water level? How big a batch are you going for? I usually start with 6 and after the 60 minute boil, I end up with 5 plus or minus a pint of water. I usually do my steep in the 6 gallons as well. Everything so far has worked great. Always have hit my numbers.

it sounds a bit different to me, but I don't know. Why did you select 8 gallons as your starting water level? How big a batch are you going for? I usually start with 6 and after the 60 minute boil, I end up with 5 plus or minus a pint of water. I usually do my steep in the 6 gallons as well. Everything so far has worked great. Always have hit my numbers.

Going for 6 gallon batch.

You can't really ferment 6 gallons of wort in a 6 gallon carboy. Anything over 5.25 gallons is pushing it, even with a blow off tube. You can dry hop in the primary if you want, or rack to the 5 gal for dry hopping. You shouldn't need longer than a 60 min boil for an extract batch.

As was stated, how to brew will get you up and running.

I agree with others that going for 6 is going to lead to fermentation problems with blow ups. Unless you've got a 7.5 gallon fermentor. You need room to allow for the co2 expansion.

the other thing 8 to get 6? I don't know if you'll get there in 60-90 minutes of boiling. I burn up about a gallon during 60 minutes boil. I don't think 90 minutes will burn off 2 galllons as I don't think the science works that way..

I mean you can do anything if you have the size pot and buckets for, but pushing space may lead to more mess cleaning than enjoyment. cheers man.

Back