Full Bag of mystery grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCGBrewing

Reaction score
Our LHBS is going out of business, and has an ongoing "going out of business" sale going on right now. I picked up a full bag of grain that is either Munich 10L, ESB malt, or a mixture of both. I couldn't resist for just $5.

Now I'm not sure what to do with it! Any suggestions? Is there a way to know which malt it is? Gambrinus' website says you can use the Munich 10L as up to 100% of the grist, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I've brewed a few Munich SMASH batches over the years. Sounds like it is time for you to explore some malt forward recipes.

I think you are right! I have a ton of hops at my disposal, any particular one that you'd recommend?

Northern Brewer worked well when I did a Munich based Alt beer. Came out so well it surely was one of my fastest beers to drink (my entire 5 gal batch) that I have made yet.

I finally got around to doing a Hop Inventory, and found a couple pounds of Northern Brewer in there. I have a ton (36lbs, or so) of hops left over from a half-hearted attempt at selling recipe kits online over the past few years.

I am going to take advantage of an empty house today and try the SMASH with the grain/NB, and my first BIAB as well. In the thread you posted, several brewers had mentioned brews with Vienna malt, which I also have. I will likely try that as well at some point.

That sounds like a good time; empty house and some brewing. My Vienna SMASH brews have been really popular with friends.

36lbs of hops is ridiculous. If only they didn't age, you could be set for life.

Luckily, most are still packaged and flush with nitrogen...but not sure what 5lbs of Willamette will do for me once I open that one. Also not sure what I was thinking when I ordered 5lbs (in 1 large package) of Willamette...

Back