Full automation options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSeattle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to get a fully automated BrewTroller system working for 2 years now, and just keep having one problem after another. I'm looking for off-the-shelf options, and not finding as much as I expected. It looks like the only turnkey option aimed at homebrewers is the PicoBrew Zymatic. The BrewBoss, the Braumeister and the Blichmann BrewEasy all look like they can be almost automated but still require you to remove the grain and start and stop the chiller yourself, and only the BrewBoss does automatic hop additions (I have my own hop dropper that could be wired in if the controller can handle it). I'd like something I can start remotely before I leave work and come back to ready-to-pitch wort. I have 20 amps of 240v and two 15A 120v circuits. I am willing to do a limited amount of plumbing and wiring, but that's what I've been doing for two years and it hasn't quite worked according to plan... I would just get a Zymatic but they don't have the best reputation for reliability and they only brew 2.5 gallons at a time while I want to brew 5-7 gallon batches.

Do you think I've assessed the available options well, or am I missing something? Cost is not a big consideration but I'd like to stay under $3000 if possible. My reason for wanting this is that I have a young daughter and fairly time consuming job, but I also love to brew and have been brewing about 2-3x a month and want to continue doing so.

So you love to brew, but have no time. But if you brew fully automatic, then your not brewing, but atleased you have beer. So you like brewing, but you like drinking it even more.

I wouldn't trust a bunch of electrical gizmos to brew beer at my house while I wasn't home.

It sounds like the Picobrew is your only option. I'm not aware of any other system that doesn't have the potential for boilovers. I don't know enough about the system to say if it can be run completely unattended. I think it requires a stable internet connection during the brew so if connectivity was lost when you were away you'd have a failed batch.

I have the BrewBoss and it is about as hands-free as it could be. Sure, I have to open and close a valve now and then or add/remove the COFI basket but that's a few minutes work every hour or so.

I suppose you could use something like the BrewBoss and automate the COFI add/remove using a winch, as well as the valve actuation but it's really not too much of an inconvenience. I'd still be concerned with boilovers and other malfunctions.

Thanks. What I enjoy most in brewing is the creative process - envisioning a recipe, producing it, and then drinking it. I always found the hands on parts to be mostly annoying. And more importantly, if I only brewed when I could spare 5 hours to babysit the brew, I'd never get to brew at all. Even with the faulty automation I have now, I can brew much more often than if I didn't have it.

My BrewTroller system solves the boilover problem with a larger kettle :), as well as with a recirculation loop. I actually asked the Brew Boss folks if there was a way to automate the COFI add/remove and valves and they said there was no way to hook their system to do it.

PicoBrew doesn't require active internet during brewing. It downloads the program then runs it. I do trust electric gizmos, and so do you, if you have a washing machine built in the last 15 years. :)

I hope you find something that works for you.

A crazy thought... Since it's the recipe design that appeals to you, would you consider hooking up with home brewers in your area to brew your recipes? Find someone who's process and equipment you're comfortable with and work out a deal for cash, equipment, supplies, or beer as payment for their time.

Now we just have to hope the internet lawyers don't pounce all over this saying it's illegal to pay for homebrew.

I ordered a Brewie as it pretty much does everything including up to 5 hop addtions. Its not due until February but I can wait.

The website says up to 6 hop additions actually! And you could probably mix some hops into your grain too for mash hopping :). How much is the Brewie? The site doesn't say. That looks like exactly what I want. Subscribed to their mailing list. First-generation kickstarter units are always a risky proposition though.

Getting others to brew my recipes is a very interesting idea. Logistically a bit challenging, but an interesting idea. If the Brewie doesn't work out, that may be the way to go...

Well they aren't even taking new preorders so I'll get ts see the first impressions before purchasing. Good price too. Wonder if PicoBrew will cut theirs to compete.

Holy crap, there is no way I'm paying $5k+ for that thing. For that price I could buy 2 PicoBrews and have enough money left over to buy beer for life!

I ordered a Brewie as it pretty much does everything including up to 5 hop addtions. Its not due until February but I can wait.

I checked out their site, I'm bothered by the numbers they use for comparison to traditional brewing. 2 hours to set up, 7 hours to brew, 2 hours to clean up?

It makes me question the accuracy of their other statements.

I'm still in shock that they have raised $725k without delivering one working setup. I'm not knocking them, it's just not something I would have thought possible.

I wish the best for everyone who's invested in this. If I were going to go this route I'd be more inclined to buy the system Cowboy1 linked to.

Back