FTSS Temp control problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimJohansen

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've bought the FTSS Temp Control system for my Half Barrel Chronical. If I set the pump to 12°C (53.6°F) the pump runs fine until that temp is reached and stops. But when the temperature starts to rise again, it doesn't restart. Did I miss something in the setup?

Thanks

/Kim

Correction, it does start but not before the temp has risen to 13.0 C Couldn't it be set to start at 12.1?

I don't own one but most temp controllers have an offset that is programmable. Ie if the set point is 12 and the offset is 1 it comes back on at13. If the offset is 2 it comes on at 14 ect.

Correction, it does start but not before the temp has risen to 13.0 C Couldn't it be set to start at 12.1?

This is setup this way intentionally ... it would constantly be cycling on and off and more likely to overshoot if it turned on for every incremental change since it takes some time for temps inside the fermenter to even out and stabilize. your pump would burn out faster and you would likely have larger temp swings if it wasnt set up this way. (not to mention your chiller would run more making things less effecient)
The controller ss uses is nothing more than a stc1000 clone is a different case with the blue lcd like they use in the cappuccino machines in gas stations. my stc1000+ units have the same 1 degree offset set by default as I use them to control flow to my homemade $20 cooling jackets around my 3 conicals.

Simply put it works better this way as 1 degree variance wont have a negative impact on what its there to accomplish...

Glad this thread existed. I bought one used and thought something was a little sketchy that it would run the pump for heat, but not cold (flipping back and forth between them).

Back