Frying Turkey in Boil Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm sure the question has be brought up in the past but I could find nothing on it with a search. Has anyone ever used their turkey fryer pot for actually frying a turkey and then used it for brewing beer. (What a strange and crazy idea.... right?) Simply wondering if it's possible to get the greasy turkey smell out of it so that it does not affect the batch of beer that goes in it. I use an aluminum pot which I think would be more "absorbent" of the oil flavor than SS. I thought maybe soaking the pot with a brewing cleaner after cleaning it very thoroughly would help rid of any flavors. Thanks!

I know it's been done, and some say there were no issues. I'd be more concerned about residual oil than residual flavor. It's tough to get them completely clean.

My boil kettle used to be my 34qt aluminum turkey fryer. A good wash and scrub with Dawn dish detergent, and then a boil of regular water cleaned it right up. I've made 10 batches or more in the pot, and none of them tasted of turkey!

Of course, I just bought a new 10gal SS boil kettle yesterday via the AHS one-day sale, so my aluminum pot is going to become my Sparge Water pot when the new one gets here. But it's all good.

oxyclean oxyclean oxyclean oxyclean oxyclean oxyclean oxyclean

:p

or you could always go the route of Jones Soda. i've read that certain amino acids being combined with maltose is able to produce odd flavors such as beef broth, baked ham, stale potato, and horseradish.

you could have a full meal, and finish it off with a pumpkin beer for dessert!

ironically you probably wouldn't want to drink it on an empty stomach

I thought oxyclean and aluminum weren't good together? Something about removing the oxide layer, and blah blah blah.

Hand wash with a good scrubber.

Thanks for the replies. I ask cause it would be nice to fry a turkey and the wife keeps bugging about it. I simply did not want to ruin or comprimise my only boil pot when I don't have the G's to replace it.

or you could always go the route of Jones Soda. i've read that certain amino acids being combined with maltose is able to produce odd flavors such as beef broth, baked ham, stale potato, and horseradish. you could have a full meal, and finish it off with a pumpkin beer for dessert!

Willy Wonka beer :fro:

I thought oxyclean and aluminum weren't good together? Something about removing the oxide layer, and blah blah blah.

Hand wash with a good scrubber.
ah! didn't see he was using aluminum. good catch :p

Back