fruity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my first brew jus finished everything turned out great. It was the red beaver ipa the directions were pretty lame but i followed an ipa recipe out of "how to brew". Like i said it turned out great but it has some weird fruity notes on the end. Does anyone know what could cause this?

What was the recipe? Sounds like a pretty good beer. What hops and when did you add them in? That could be from it.

Need more info. What yeast? what temp did you ferment at? and as stated above, what was your hop schedule? A recipie would help

I didnt take notes like a *******... My bittering hops were warrior which i added 30 mins before the end of my boil and flavor and atoma were cascade which i added at 15, 10, and 5 mins before the boil was finished then dryhopped after my bubbling stopped in my fermenter. Ferment temp is at 77 i imagine thats what i keep my thermostat at and the yeast was wyeast liquid ale yeast i forget the number tho. Everyone thats tried it likes it exept me i think it masks the pungency of the alcohol which leads me to believe my alc/ by volume is low.

Fermenting yeasts at that temperature is going to create a lot of esters which come across as a range of fruity flavors. So if you're looking to get that flavor out of your future brews you're going to have to invest in some temperature control. To do it on the cheap do a search on this site for swamp cooler. Cheap easy way to keep your fermentation temperatures down.

Cascade does give a citrus/ grapefruit aroma. Did you not take gravity readings? My guess, IPA's aren't big beers, unless its a IIPA/ DIPA. But Ipa's imo tend to hide alcohol well.

It's ferm temp all day. Your beer will ferment as much as 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient. At 77 ambient, your beer fermented around the mid eighties. Definitely in the range to get fruity esters.

I didnt mean alcohol pungency like say a batleywine but i was really hoping to have a decent 6-7% but it sure doesnt taste like it . Well i have another batch brewing now so im hoping for a different outcome.

fruity'ness will mellow with time if you let it sit. a specialy if it is a "sweet" fruity flovour

Its kind of a tangy flavor but i read the write up on swamp cooling and its a great idea unfortunately my second batch is almost ready to bottle so i will probably wind up with the fruityness again but next ought to turn out great. Do these esters effect alc/ by volume at all just curious.

6-7% won't have anything really noticeable. I made a high 6% Hefe and didn't notice a thing. Have 2 of them back to back, and if you have a nice buzz, i'd say you hit it :mug:

Well yeah they get the job done and ultimately im very proud of it bein as its my first brew and all my friends and my dad like it i just dont like imperfections in things that i do

Bitterizbetter said:
Well yeah they get the job done and ultimately im very proud of it bein as its my first brew and all my friends and my dad like it i just dont like imperfections in things that i do

Welcome to the hobby. Honebrewers tend to be their own toughest critics. I have a beer I can't choke down but everyone else loves it. Keep reading, refining, and brewing! I'm on batch 13 and every one is better than the last.

Just fermented a Belgium wheat that I plan to add additional fruit to.
I let it ferment in my garage in the Texas summer; 90F ambient in the garage.
The yeast preformed as expected at this temperature, lots of fruit flavor and strong banana!

So if you desire the opposite then you need to bring the temp down considerably.
For a clean tasting ale I use a neutral yeast (US-05 or WLP001) and ferment at 65F (not ambient).
I use an old freezer rigged with a Ranco for my fermentation chamber; I tried the cheaper methods like swamp coolers but they just cannot stand up to the heat in southeast Texas without constant observation.
7364-6527.jpg

Yeah im in southwest az so fermenting outside is a definite no because our summer average is like 110-120 outside temp but i keep mine in an unused bathtub at my house but im gonna try the swamp cooling see how it goes.

Back