Fruity IPA hunt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
I love dogfish 60 SO MUCH. An after I've had a few I no longer taste malt or beer but rather just the fruitiness of the hops within. I would really love to push this with even more specifically "citrus" hops. But there is about 5 million hops described to be "fruity"
What are some good hop combinations to achieve a well rounded IPA with that weird almost tropical bitter I love so much?(preferably ones I can get my hands on, Nelson Sauvin sounds epic but I can't find em)

My IPA is Warrior @60, Citra @15, Willamette @ flameout and Cascade dry hop. It has a firm bitterness that dissipates and leaves a nice fruitiness at the end.

I think the combo of Amarillo and Simcoe is one of the best for fruity hop flavor. Duet from Alpine Brewing is a perfect example. Amarillo and Citra is also very similar.

Yea Dogfish has both amarillo and simcoe
I'm super curious about citra. I suppose I'll start there for my next IPA
How would an amarillo/citra/simcoe/(maybe warrior/green bullet/something like that) hop schedule look?(for example I feel like i remember reading somewhere that citra are poor bittering hops but great for 15min or less)

I do a beer with Amarillo for bittering and flavor additions with Citra for aroma and dry hopping. The ipa fans in my life find it better than most commercial versions. This is a tough crowd to please too!

Amarillo/simcoe is my favorite combo. I'm not a citra fan, as it screams MANGO and tropical fruit which I don't like.

For fruity, amarillo, simcoe, cascade, centennial (but a hint of floral too), and citra are probably the most "famous".

Citra is the pinacle of fruity. Works great with Simcoe and Amarillo. Cascade is good with them too. I recently did a hop SAC ipa. Simcoe, Amarillo, and citra added in that order twice through the boil and dryhopped with all three. I'd believe there was juicy fruit in it based on hydrometer samples.

We just made a BIPA with Centennial, Cascade and Citra. The citra brings more of a tropical fruit character into the mix, it works extremely well with the citrus notes from the others. Definitely try them if you can find them.

In my brief experience as a brewer I have somehow managed to overlook centennial, I may try an IPA along these lines
Cascade & centennial 60
Simcoe 30
Amarillo 30
Amarillo 15
Simcoe 15
Citra 5
Citra amarillo whirlpool
Dry hop-cascade citra amarillo

I just did a Blood Orange ipa that's really fruity.

1.5oz Simcoe @60
1.0oz Warrior @45
1.0oz Citra @30
0.5oz Simcoe @15
1.0oz Citra @FO

Dry hopped in secondary for 2 weeks with an ounce of Citra.

I'm planning on doing a Lemon IpA with lemon zest and a ton of Citra and Sorachi Ace hops.

Back