Fruity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just cracked open a keg of beer I had made, and it has a distinct fruity flavor. It's a pretty straight brew, 22lbs of Vienna Malt, 1 lb of 40L . Mash for 75min at 157,boil for 70 min 2 oz Amarillo for 60 min and 1 oz Amarillo for 15 min, Irish moss,PH stabilizer in strike water. Primary Ferment for 17 days at 60 deg, keg with 1/2 cup corn sugar, let set for 1 month. Served at 45 deg, 7 psi on the pressure.
What is the taste from?:confused:

I think of two things. One is simply the amarillo hops- they taste very fruity.

The other thing to consider is the yeast strain and temperature. If you used S05, for example, that yeast strain throws tons of these weird "peachy" esters at lower temperatures, and at higher temperatures, so for that strain I like it at 66ish.

Fruity can come from the hops, but Amarillo doesn't particularly have that character. It's more citrusy...is that what you're tasting?

The other place fruity comes from is esters resulting from fermentation issues. Either temps being out of range for your yeast or otherwise straining the yeast somehow.

What yeast did you use for this one?

Is it citrus or banana? Esters in my experience have a banana flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think of two things. One is simply the amarillo hops- they taste very fruity.

The other thing to consider is the yeast strain and temperature. If you used S05, for example, that yeast strain throws tons of these weird "peachy" esters at lower temperatures, and at higher temperatures, so for that strain I like it at 66ish.

Thank you for the information. I brewed an American Amber Ale with SA-05. My harvested WY1056 was infected. It had a distinct flavor under tone. Peachy would fit the description. It wasn't until day 5 of the fermentation I let the temperature rise above 65°.
Six to eight weeks of bottle conditioning seems to lessen the flavor.

Back