Fruits effect on SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to brew Jamil's Magic Hat #9 clone on my next brew day.

Since my LHBS doesn't carry Apricot extract, I'm planning to use canned fruits. I've read a couple of threads saying to be careful because the sugar in the fruits will affect the final ABV.

How exactly can I know the potential of my canned fruits ?

Thanks,
FaRdY

Fruit will certainly add sugar to a beer which will be converted to alcohol, but it also adds water which will dillute the alcohol you have from the base beer. For most moderate gravity beers the change in alcohol really won't be that big because most fruit has a gravity pretty close to 1.050 (although they are generally more fermentable than a regular wort).

Fruit will certainly add sugar to a beer which will be converted to alcohol, but it also adds water which will dillute the alcohol you have from the base beer. For most moderate gravity beers the change in alcohol really won't be that big because most fruit has a gravity pretty close to 1.050 (although they are generally more fermentable than a regular wort).

Thanks a lot Oldsock !

Back