Fruit Wheat Beer Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I'm brewing beer for my sister-in-law's wedding in May and she has requested a "fruity spring beer". I have not brewed either of those styles at all really, so I'm kind of in the dark. I have been thinking about a blood orange wheat. I'm thinking along the lines of this beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/honey-orange-hefeweizen-169857/

I'll be steeping the fruit and zest of five blood oranges in 170 water, which I'll then add to the fermenter before I pitch the yeast. I'm also going to sub 2row for the pils (I could add a pound of vienna or munich to make up for it?), and EKG for the Tett. This is just because it is what I have, but everything sound good so far?

My big question is the yeast. I'm not really a wheat beer drinker, so I don't really know what to expect from the "banana and clove" mix. I'm a fan of Belgians, but not super banana-y ones. So, I'd rather avoid the "in yo face banana", but a little is OK probably. Also, I've got the pack of WB-06 that the recipe has, but after reading the reviews on here, I'm not so sure I want to use it. Most of them were pretty negative, if somewhat older. Maybe the yeast is better now? I could try and get some other kind of liquid yeast maybe, and I always have some US-05 too.

Any other recommendations are welcomed, as I'm treading in unfamiliar territory. Thanks! :mug:

Take a look at Wyeast's Forbidden Fruit... Good wheat beer yeast with practically no banana.

Looks good. Do you (or anyone?) know if it is comparable to WB06? I'm not opposed to using what I have really, it's just that all the negative reviews have me second guessing. Although, none of them mention it being over banana-y.

Back