Fruit Substitution Question...help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
Having no common sense, it's February and I decided to brew a cranberry ale, not thinking cranberries aren't in season and I don't know how (really, where) to get any frozen one. I'd still like to use whole fruit instead of fruit extracts. What kind of fruit can I substitute and how much will it take to equal the sugar content of six pounds of cranberries? I need to rack my beer to a secondary and add fruit within the next few days. Any suggestions?

I'm suprised you can't find frozen cranberries in the grocery store...maybe try another berry...or cherries. Hmmm, I wonder what plum would taste like....

cranberries have almost no sugar in them and are very acid - if you use them for flavor, you can make very good stuff, but you are definitely going to need another source of sugar.

Frozen cranberries are still available at my local grocery

brackbrew said:
Having no common sense, it's February and I decided to brew a cranberry ale, not thinking cranberries aren't in season and I don't know how (really, where) to get any frozen one. I'd still like to use whole fruit instead of fruit extracts. What kind of fruit can I substitute and how much will it take to equal the sugar content of six pounds of cranberries? I need to rack my beer to a secondary and add fruit within the next few days. Any suggestions?

your local HBS should have cans of fruit puree (blueberry, strawberry, rasberry, peach, etc.). i've used it for a blueberry wheat. works pretty good and it's already pasteurized. i just racked my wort on to it in my secondary. watch out for blow-off! northern brewer supply has it too, just can't remember he brand name????

DeRoux's Broux

Back