Fruit Puree Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmillb1

Reaction score
I brewed an amazing blood orange wheat last summer and was thinking of a tweaking it this year by adding cranberry to the blood orange. Cranberry and orange are fairly classic and I think this would be an equally good brew.

I used a can of Vintner's Harvest blood orange puree (49 oz) in secondary last year - they make a cranberry as well - should I add half (24.5 Oz) of each puree (Seems wasteful though...) or should I just go with both full 49 Oz cans? (or would that be overkill?)

Assuming you're brewing a 5 gallon batch, 49oz cans sounds slightly excessive being that after you'd added both of them you'd be around 3/4 of a gallon of puree. Blood Orange is not an overwhelming fruit flavor compared to others, but I've had made beers with more of it than I would've liked in the end. It starts to be less like beer and more like malty, alcoholic italian soda.

On another note, I would recommend buying blood oranges and juicing them as opposed to a canned product. Cranberries are out of season so you're out of luck there, but putting some fresh cranberries through a food processor and bagging them would be ideal as well. In my experience opting for fresh fruit will always yield better results.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck.

Assuming you're brewing a 5 gallon batch, 49oz cans sounds slightly excessive being that after you'd added both of them you'd be around 3/4 of a gallon of puree. Blood Orange is not an overwhelming fruit flavor compared to others, but I've had made beers with more of it than I would've liked in the end. It starts to be less like beer and more like malty, alcoholic italian soda.

On another note, I would recommend buying blood oranges and juicing them as opposed to a canned product. Cranberries are out of season so you're out of luck there, but putting some fresh cranberries through a food processor and bagging them would be ideal as well. In my experience opting for fresh fruit will always yield better results.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck.
Yep, 5 gallon batch. I used the 49oz can of blood orange puree last summer and it was awesome. I'll see what I will do with a mix and match of the two flavors. Cheers!

@mcmillb1

What was the recipe you used originally?
5 lbs Wheat Malt
4 lbs Plisner
1 lb Munich

.5 Oz Hallertau @60
.5 Oz Saaz @20
.5 Oz Hallertau @2

2 oz Orange Zest @2

German Wheat (Wyeast 3333)

1.050 OG for 5 Gallons

49 Oz Blood Orange Puree in Secondary for a week.

I brewed an amazing blood orange wheat last summer and was thinking of a tweaking it this year by adding cranberry to the blood orange. Cranberry and orange are fairly classic and I think this would be an equally good brew.

I used a can of Vintner's Harvest blood orange puree (49 oz) in secondary last year - they make a cranberry as well - should I add half (24.5 Oz) of each puree (Seems wasteful though...) or should I just go with both full 49 Oz cans? (or would that be overkill?)
I just read this section in my designing great beer book...add 1 -2 pounds of fruit per gallon .

Back