Fruit juice mixes for making cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

thirsty4cider

Reaction score
I'm new to making cider and am on my 4th batch. I just realized that i could use fruits other than apple (derp), and was wondering what kind of different juices you all have mixed, and then brewed. what tasted good together and what didnt, yeast you used, how long it fermented for, all those details. Thanks for your help!

Thirsty out.:)

Pickled_Pepper

Reaction score
I just purchased a gallon of Peach Cider from an orchard in South Carolina. The lady said it was 95% peach juice and 5% apple juice. It's crystal clear so I assume they filtered and pasteurized it. It's a dark amber color.

I was thinking of making a 4 gallon batch of straight apple cider and then racking onto this one gallon of peach in secondary. I think I'll skip adding any sugar so the peach has a chance to come through as much as possible. I'll just use my standard Nottingham ale yeast and see how it goes.

OP
T

thirsty4cider

Reaction score
I just purchased a gallon of Peach Cider from an orchard in South Carolina. The lady said it was 95% peach juice and 5% apple juice. It's crystal clear so I assume they filtered and pasteurized it. It's a dark amber color.

I was thinking of making a 4 gallon batch of straight apple cider and then racking onto this one gallon of peach in secondary. I think I'll skip adding any sugar so the peach has a chance to come through as much as possible. I'll just use my standard Nottingham ale yeast and see how it goes.
that's pretty neat. like I said I am a nooby so up till now i have just opened the cap on the apple juice container, throw some yeast in, add airlock and let it go. i then pour straight to a cup after about a week while being careful not to stir up the yeast cake. My question is what is racking and the secondary. thanks!

Pickled_Pepper

Reaction score
Racking is just moving the cider/beer/wine from one container to the next ('secondary' fermenter) to get it off the old yeast (lees). There is a lot of debate on how long you can leave it on the lees, some say months, some say get it off as soon as it is an inch thick, some go by a set time schedule or gravity. I prefer the gravity method. When it reaches a certain gravity...I rack. When it reaches final gravity...I bottle. In theory, this allows me to slow down the fermentation process by reducing the amount of yeast in the fermenter.

There's nothing wrong with just putting yeast into a gallon of juice if you like the final product. I do it quite often. I would at least, save the original container and pour the cider back into that leaving the lees behind. (That's racking ;) )

Kashue

Reaction score
Blackberry is really good and will give your cider a bit of a dry red wine character. My advice is to stew the berries in some of your base apple juice (perhaps the batch you dissolve the sugar in) then remove the actual fruit pulp. Blackberries contain a lot of seeds and tannins, and these can give your cider a bitter flavor if they ferment in the carboy.

I recently did a blackberry cider (fruit in) that I back-sweetened with a little extra brown sugar (1/3 cup to 1 gallon cider) and doctored with about 2 teaspoons of brandy. Bottle aging mellowed it into a nicely tart, very old-tasting drink, but had I left the fruit itself in my cookpot it would have been a lot nicer.

You need to be careful mixing other juices I think, as apple is easily overwhelmed.

OP
T

thirsty4cider

Reaction score
is there anything other than brandy that will work? (not sure what I would do with the rest of the bottle as not really into the strong stuff)
also how long did you age for?