Fruit Juice in the Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I am making a fruit IPA be means of pure canned fruit juice. I'm thinking of adding it to the primary because it will restart fermentation. This way, all of the yeast and trub from this fermentation will sink to the bottom with all of the other trub. I would be adding it after primary fermentation is complete.

Then I plan to rack to secondary and dry hop. Then cold crash + gelatin.

Is this good idea? My only concern would be juice flavor getting caught in the trub in the primary.

The sugar in the fruit will restart fermentation no matter which vessel you add it to. Unless you feel the need to get the beer off of the yeast cake, I don't see a reason that your plan wouldn't work.

I never secondary. My strawberry and watermelon beers do just fine. I'll be adding fruit to my latest creation pineapple wheat this evening.

I never secondary. My strawberry and watermelon beers do just fine. I'll be adding fruit to my latest creation pineapple wheat this evening.

How much pineapple are you adding? That happens to be what I'm adding too. I'm leaning towards 48 oz of canned pineapple juice.

Latest posts

Back