fruit in wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
im going to attempt to make my first wine this weekend. i want to put some frozen peaches in with some sugar and white grape juice. should i put the peaches in the blender after i thaw them and then throw them into the fermentor? how do you guys do it? im new to this and want to try my luck at ir. i picked up some cotes des blanc and am ready to go!

If you blend the peaches they will be a pain to get out. I just roughly chopped mine and put them in a strainer bag. They were pretty easy to get out and after about 2 months the escaped pieces fall to the bottom with the yeast. Rack it off the lees and add isinglass, that stuff is working wonders on my peach in a very short amount of time. I can see clear through it after only 3 - 4 days. My OG was 1.100, and it finished out at .990, about 14.6%ABV I guess. It's pretty strong but with time it will mellow out. I used k1-v1116 though, that stuff will ferment to 20% if you want it to. Make sure you add enough sugar to get the results you want.

EDIT: Also be sure to add pectic enzyme. It will break down the peaches further for more juice extraction.

I freeze my fruit before using. Then, I put them (either whole, or in chunks, depending on the type of fruit) in a bit mesh bag and tie it off and let it thaw in the must. I stir the must daily for about 5 days, and smash the fruit bag around when I stir. I also add pectic enzyme. In about 5 days, the fruit is a pulpy mess that I can just squeeze out to get the good stuff out. I sanitize my hands, pull out the bag, squeeze it, let it drain over the fermenter, and then rack to secondary. It works very well!

I think the main thing to remember when dealing with frozen anuthing, is to get it thawed out, and up to temp. (70* - 80*) Otherwise your yeast might not want to play well in your must.

I think the main thing to remember when dealing with frozen anuthing, is to get it thawed out, and up to temp. (70* - 80*) Otherwise your yeast might not want to play well in your must.

Indeed. But adding campden and letting it sit 24 hours before pitching will make this a non-issue.

Back