Fruit in Each Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Thinking about putting together a fruit beer for summer.

In addition to a normal fruit puree addition in the secondary, has anyone toyed with putting fresh fruit in at bottling? Say, one raspberry per bottle? I'm wondering if a) the fruit will get nasty in the bottle and b) how much priming sugar would it contribute? I assume you'd want to dip the fruit in StarSan to avoid infections.

thanks.

In the fermenter they turn to brown semi translucent mush. I don't think they would hold up in the bottle too well.

Also fruit needs to be pasteurized to avoid infection.

I know a brewery that put fresh raspberries in growlers of porter. The fruit was soaked in a delicious raspberry liquor first (to sanitize), then added. The beer was absolutely amazing. But if it was kept too long, it overcarbed and one growler exploded (the beer was unfiltered).

I was thinking about putting a fresh hop cone in each bottle of an IPA. I decided against it do to logistics... (i.e. I'm too lazy)

For sanitary sakes, you can buy frozen, pasteurized raspberries and do it that way. However, after a few weeks (or even a few days for that matter) in a bottle, you would end up with a whitish or brownish piece of mush that you wouldn't want to eat. why not just toss a fresh one in each glass u serve? that would give it a nice presentation without having to worry about contamination, bottle bombs, or just plain unappetizing look.

I was thinking about putting a fresh hop cone in each bottle of an IPA. I decided against it do to logistics... (i.e. I'm too lazy)

I thought about doing that too. It would be the coolest to get one in your beer at the brew pub. Although it wouldn't really do much for flavor/aroma, i think it would be awesome!! :ban:

Back