Fruit in a wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I just started carbonating my Strawberry Wheat and my Raspberry Wheat last night, and I had an idea. I am curious if anyone has ever tried adding strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in a wheat? The challenge would be to get the flavors balanced just right, but do you think it would come out well? I wander if they my make a better combo in a stout?

Blueberries have a very delicate flavor and would likely be lost in with any other berries. The blueberries are more acidic flavor than you would expect too. I wouldn't recommend mixing them with any other fruit.

Personally, I only like a hint of fruit flavor in a "fruit" beer, so 3 very different fruits in one beer sounds like a mess.

I don't think blueberries would work in a stout very well either - not a great compliment to roasty and chocolaty flavors.

Blueberries can work well in a wheat beer though. I think they go well with most citrus flavors.

It seems to be that would be like a fruit juice wheat, and while it works for juicy juice, I think actually using real fruit with such distinctly different flavors would just end up being a wheat beer with a tart flavor to it.

A blueberry wheat is very tasty, probably one of my favorite fruity beers put out by a local beer company here in Maine called Sea Dog. I've also seen in Boston at a restaurant/bew pub called Boston Beer Works where they take a light wheat and actually put blueberries into the beer when they serve it. Its more a novelty than anything, but its not bad.

To me, I 'd think most stouts have more of a chocolate or coffee flavor to it that wouldn't balance well with a berry flavor.

I'd stick to a single fruit in a light beer such as wheat. I just don't think you would be able to balance it in such a way that you could taste each one.

The idea of combining all three came from a berry mead. Last night I tried combining both the strawberry and raspberry just for fun, and I'm not a fan. Just as you all mentioned there was too much fruit flavor, and it left the malt behind. I do not have a lot of hope for this combination after that experiment. I have tried the Sweetwater Blueberry beer once, and based on the subtle flavors it would be on par with the strength of the strawberry. The raspberry came out twice maybe even three times as strong as the strawberry, so that would need to be dropped in percentage just to balance it out. I may just brew an extra gallon of the base wheat next time to see exactly how it would come out to humor my curiosity.

Back