Fruit Flies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
I just got a new fermentation chamber (fridge). I have a temp controller plugged in with the probe cable just in between the rubber on the door. After two weeks in primary at 62 degrees the fridge was full of fruit flies. The fridge is in an unconditioned garage (very hot right now). No flies in the airlock. Instead of crashing in the chamber, I ended up moving the fermenter into my keezer which is at 35 degrees. If I find a way to seal the door, will this stop? Should I brew a lager next at say 45 degrees (fruit flies die at this temp?). Can I stop them? Last year when I fermented in my closet without temp control I had fruit flies also. Seems to happen in the summer. What to do? Maybe a blowoff tube long enough to put outside the fridge to avoid the co2 smell?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Fill a bowl with cider vinegar then cover it with plastic wrap and poke small holes in the wrap with a toothpick. This will encourage the flies to lay their eggs in the vinegar they will get trapped inside the wrap and eventually will die out. I think the cold will actually just make they go dormant and when it warms up a again they'll be back at it...

I did this last year when I had the fermenter in my closet and it worked good. This time it seemed pointless because there were so many, but maybe if I do it from day one it will keep them from laying the eggs and multiplying like you say. I will give it a go. I feel its pointless it sealing the chamber itself.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No need for the plastic wrap, just drop 3-4 drops of dish soap on top to break the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back