Fruit flavored beer using extract vs real fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigarcherynut

Reaction score
My wife and daughters are asking for a fruit flavored beer for the summer. I've been searching and reading on this and would like your opinion on using fruit extract vs. real fruit.

I read a lot of different opinions on real fruit and how to sterilize it prior to adding it. Seems to be a lot of different ideas which leaves me wondering what is right or wrong.

Extracts seem to be a little simpler and cost less to use. Thinking of a wheat extract beer with raspberry or blueberry flavor.

All input and recipes are appreciated.

when i did a raspberry wheat, i used raspberry puree from midwest supplies. One can and it tasted pretty good.

i prefer to use real fresh fruit (as im a produce manager lol). but i feel it adds to authenticity but i know great beers are made with extracts too.

when i use fresh fruit and veggies i will prepare them depending on if im doing a puree or if i want a clearer beer ill cube it up. after its prepared i will freeze it to sanatize and try to kill anything in it. then i will add to secondary from there. sometimes i also add to boil depending on what im doing

BYO has a Q&A on this very topic. I have used real fruit in secondary for 5 days and I like how things turned out. I have a can of puree that I will use in a 5 gallon batch next and then in the other 5 gallons, I will be using natural blackberry extract. The intent is to brew a 10 gallon batch of a blackberry wheat beer where I do 5 gallons the way my LHBS intended and 5 my way using a wild yeast and the puree. I wish I had gotten this article from BYO before hand because the thought of using fresh blackberries was unappealing only due to infection. They do not normally seem to package blackberries like they do strawberries in the frozen food section.

That said, if you want a copy of the article PM me and I'll email it to you because it is too large to upload here. It discusses the use of fruit, briefly and how to use fresh fruit. In truth, I vote fresh fruit over anything else and careful with the purees as adding too much can lead to "extract" medicine like flavors. I know this due to what I call a failed batch by a local brewery.

I have only used fresh fruit and get good flavor from it.

Things I have noticed from my experience with it.

Some fruits do fine added to primary but others should be secondary. I have mainly used strawberries and Blackberries and find that strawberries do ok in primary but you have to pretty much discard the yeast afterwards. Blackberries on the other hand should be in secondary because most of the flavor leeches out during ferment and it lends itself to an exceptionally dry beer (depending on yeast of course) because of the quantity of sugars added to the process.

I have switched to adding all fruit to a secondary which has yielded much more positive results for me. YMMV though.

Agreed. All fruit in secondary after fermentation is complete. Otherwise, you will have a drier beer and a lot of the flavor can dissipate.

I guess my concern with fresh fruit is proper sterilization of it. Mixed posts on here. Some say freezing sterilizes the fruit others say no it doesn't. Just not sure what to do. The puree sounds like the way to go for my first try. I'm with the real fruit users and it's most likely the better way to go for great flavor but maybe not my first run. I like the idea of a puree rather than the extract.

Any advice from puree users on how much to use?

My 2c....blackberry sounds like it would be good but adds more bitterness than you would think. My advice is to adjust mash temps according to the bitterness/sweetness impact of whatever fruit you choose.

My 2c....blackberry sounds like it would be good but adds more bitterness than you would think. My advice is to adjust mash temps according to the bitterness/sweetness impact of whatever fruit you choose.

I'm a newbie but this sounds like part of an all grain process. I'm looking to do a wheat beer from an extract. Blackberry does sound good.

Thanks

You get complexity from using both real fruit and some extract that heightens and improves the overall effect.

I make raspberry lemon Wheat. For a ten gallon batch I use the zest of 6 lemons during last five minutes of the boil. Then 6 lbs frozen raspberries in the secondary for a couple weeks. Bottle and wait a month. Turns out awesome every time.

I make raspberry lemon Wheat. For a ten gallon batch I use the zest of 6 lemons during last five minutes of the boil. Then 6 lbs frozen raspberries in the secondary for a couple weeks. Bottle and wait a month. Turns out awesome every time.

This sounds great, I've done fruit beers but never thought of doing two fruits in one beer once...wanna try rasberry/lemon but has me thinking maybe I should do a Pineapple Orange beer. Orange zest in place of lemon zest and pineapples in place raspberry.

My one desire in homebrewing is to get other people to enjoy craft beer. So, I have worked extensively with fruit beers, mild IPAs, and wheat beers.

Avoid extract that comes in 4oz packages. You'll find them both at your LHBS and online - tiny bottles of extract. If you enjoy cough medicine, you'll love them. If not, steer clear.

Freezing does not sterilize fruit. Throw some harvested yeast in the freezer for as long as you want to, then pitch it into beer if you don't believe me. It will ferment. Youll likely drastically underpitch, but enough yeast will survive.

I have never once had an infection brewing, but my method is far from perfect. Let primary finish, add fresh frozen fruit (not thawed) to a bowl, add vodka, and shake it violently. I don't want to add so much vodka that it significantly impacts ABV, but I like to think this helps sanitize. At the end of the day, it's a gamble.

Let it ferment again for 5-14 days, but typically if the berries are all white you're good to go. Cold crash if possible, then keg or bottle.

40oz of frozen fruit will get you a distinct, but not overpowering, flavor and aroma of the fruit you choose. Mash high if you want the sweetness that people will expect from a fruit beer. Mash low if you like dry beers like I do.

I suggest real fruit.

2 lbs per gallon for strong flavor
1.5 lbs per gallon for medium flavor
1 lbs per gallon for subtle flavor

Freeze the fruit before you add it (to burst the cell walls).

Make your beer first like you would if you weren't adding fruit. When you add it frozen, (if it floats) push it down so that it gets covered on all sides by a little bit of fluid. This is critical to get alcohol on all sides, it will kill most pathogens.

I'm 9/10 success rate so far. Had one go to vinegar. But I'd say 90% success is pretty good. And this next batch is looking legit!

I have used the extract, 100% juice, and real fruit.

I hated the extract but the beer was drinkable (it was the rasberry extract). I probably won't use extract again.

I used 100% juice (like $6.00 a half gallon at the store) and it turned out good. I think we used 1 gallon total for a 5 gallon batch and the blueberry taste and color was spot on.

I used 2lbs of real strawberries for another batch and enjoyed the results as well. We used frozen strawberries and used a food processor to break them up before adding to secondary. The finally beer turned out a little tart but people enjoyed it.

I plan to use purée this summer.

I would suggest the juice). It is not from concentrate and somewhat expensive but you don't have to worry about the fruit, seeds, etc. all you have to worry about is enough room in your fermenter and the change in gravity.

I can't remember the brand name but Ingles carries it. I can look tomorrow if you are interested.

I always add fresh fruit add to a small amount of simmer water and keep it above 150 for 15min. Then I turn off heat and let it sit a minute. Dump it in a sanitized freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. About a week later, I break it up by hand in bag and dump into empty sanitized carboy or bucket. Rack fermented beer onto frozen fruit and let it age another two weeks to make sure FG had stabalized. Great results with apricots, strawberries, clementines (used zest in boil two), and apple.

I agree that fruit extracts give a cough syrup taste, commercial example Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

I usually try to use just fresh fruit that has been frozen to burst cell walls. I've found that using just a little bit of good extract for lighter flavored fruits really helps to kick up the aroma which increases the overall intensity of the flavor. I frequently do this with peaches and peach extract.

Nobody has mentioned the use of dried fruit, which I also really like to use. Since it's been dehydrated it doesn't add the volume of water fresh fruit adds which gives you more intense, less watery flavors. Dried cherries are my favorite to use in sour beers. Some have a bunch of sugar or oils added so just make sure to check the package.

I do not like the taste of extract. After having several beers that had one or the other. Real fruit tastes way better in my opinion. Raspberry wheat with a can (3 lbs I believe) of puree is delicious. With extract, no so much.

I can easily tell when a beer uses extract.

Thanks everyone for the added comments.

For those of you against just extracts I feel the same. To me a good chance of false flavors or a chemical taste.

I think the real fruit or puree is the way to go after reading these posts. I'm thinking of trying the vodka trick to sterilize if using fresh fruit other wise I'll go with the puree.

Keep the tips coming. Gee I love this site!!

Thanks again.

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to be adding blackberries to a red ale in two to three weeks.

:ban:

Back