Fruit additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoelke

Reaction score
What fruit is good to add to cider? and when should I add it? In the past I have used raisins, dried apricots and dried pears. I've heard of using oranges any advice or info would be great. Also what about spicing the cider?

Well, idk if your familiar or have heard of JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead), but it calls for whole oranges. This this is supposedly to not only add orange flavour, but to be used as a bitter to counteract the residual sweetness in this bread yeast mead. The whole oranges does it's bittering job well enough, but the pith (white stuff in between the zest and orange) often adds an "orange pith" flavour to the mead, which is highly undesired. For this reason, I would suggest not including the pith. If you want to include the zest and the orange itself, I would suggest grating the zest, and then pealing the pith off the orange, and then simply using only the zest and orange.

Back