Fructose question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregris

Reaction score
I've got a Hefeweizen ready for bottling and realized now that to get to the higher carb rates that Hefes have I need more than the one bag of corn sugar I ordered. I don't really have a LHBS and don't have time to order any from the net. I went to the Stop and Shop to see if a supermarket carries corn sugar, but no luck. I did pick up some fructose, however.

Here's my question - I did some searching around on the forums but couldn't find a definitive answer: does fructose work well for priming (emphasis on the word "well"). I know it will work, but 1) does it take longer to carb, like sucrose would? 2) can I mix dextrose and fructose in the same priming solution?, and 3) some people said it would impart off-flavors; does it?

Finally, my software has calculations for sucrose and dextrose but not fructose. Which calculation would I use?

I can post recipe and desired carb rate, if you need it.

Thanks

How much dextrose do you have? I'm concerned that if you overcarb the hefe to be more "in style", your bottles may not be able to handle it.

People often use table sugar (sucrose) to carb- but I have no idea about fructose. It should be the same.

For the style, it says the carb rate should be 3.3 to 4.5.

I have the standard 4.5 oz bag of dextrose, which my software says will give it a rate of 2.3

In order to get to 4, it says I need 9.7 oz, or almost two bags. That seems a little scary to me. I figured I would try to get it up to around 3 or so. That means I would need 6.6 oz. I think the bottles should be able to handle that, right? I mean, what carb rate is a fizzy soda like Coke?

Back