Frozen Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
A fellow in my neighborhood is giving away a few small beer kits (1-2 gals) and has kept the yeast in his freezer. No doubt this would be dry yeast but can it be stored in the freezer?

I’m assuming I’ll need to pick up a packet of US-05 to split between these 4 gals...

This from Coopers..."Keeping the yeast in a freezer will not kill the yeast, however can cause damage to the cells as the yeast still have ~2% moisture. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. Thank you, Kevin Lane, Technical Sales Manger.”

Lallemand does not mention freezing yeast but is best to keep the yeast dry and below 50°F for most of their yeasts. Some are best stored under 39°F. Storage temperature is on the packaging.
http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/products/brewing-yeast/

I've just kept all my dry/liquid yeast in the refrigerator at approximately 36°F.

When I picked it up he told me it was stored in the fridge and the hops were in the freezer so it’s certainly all good.

Thanks!

If just in the fridge, the yeast should be good. Look at the date on the package to determine if it is still useful sprinkled or rehydrated. There will still be some viable yeast in there so if really old you could do a step starter to get the proper pitch rate.

Back