Frozen lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
So, I managed to freeze my Vienna lager. There's a good couple of inches of slush at the top of the carboy. It is currently thawing. When I moved it into the kitchen to warm up, the airlock started popping pretty good. I don't know that this was the yeast. Could just be me releasing some CO2. Usually I release methane, but that's a different thread.

Thing is, it's probably the best moment for this to happen. I brewed over the weekend, and pitched that batch onto the yeast cake from the frozen one. It's at high krauesen right now.

I figured I'd crop some yeast from the one that's in the primary and add it once the other one is back up to 40 degrees or so.

Anyone have any experience with this? Should I take yeast off the top, or the bottom? How much? Personally, I like bottoms better, but, again, that's a different thread.

How long ago since you brewed it? Is it done fermenting? If it's done, I'd say don't bother adding the yeast, otherwise you can pitch some. I think the CO2 was coming out of solution from a change in temp.

Palmer froze his Vienna Lager. It was fine - it's in his book. You'll need to repitch if you're bottle conditioning. Otherwise, I think you're fine.

Kai said:
Palmer froze his Vienna Lager. It was fine - it's in his book. You'll need to repitch if you're bottle conditioning. Otherwise, I think you're fine.

I agree. I've conditioned myself to think of kegging beers, I rarely bottle anymore.

It's in the lagering phase now. I racked it 3 days ago.

I'm not terribly concerned. I do bottle condition though (some of us don't have the money or space for kegging, so while that's great, it's not the answer to every question), so I will be re-pitching.

Any ideas on how much? I was thinking I'd draw 2 cups from the bottom of the carboy that I have the other one going in. Sound alright?

Thanks for the tip Kai. The more I think about it, the more I feel like it'll be alright.

When I got home this evening, I pitched that yeast that I stole from the current beer in the primary. It was a pilsner, and if that "starter" was any indication, that is going to be a beautiful beer. It had fermented out, the yeast had settled, and it was starting to clear. Even after 24 hours it had started to develop a nice clear straw color.

The sucky part about this, and the only thing about homebrewing that drives me nuts, is that I won't know if this fix worked for at least 4 to 6 more weeks. Depending on how long I let it sit in the secondary and then carbonate.

Back