Frozen Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaRooster

Reaction score
Ok everybody, an unfortunate series of events has resulted in my Maibock being frozen, so I guess I now have an Eisbock. I understand that the freezing will require the re-pitching of yeast. I was thinking of using 1/3 packet of Nottingham. The question is, when is the best time to add it. I still have to lager for 8 more more weeks, and then I will bottle. I know you all can help with this.

Ok everybody, an unfortunate series of events has resulted in my Maibock being frozen, so I guess I now have an Eisbock. I understand that the freezing will require the re-pitching of yeast. I was thinking of using 1/3 packet of Nottingham. The question is, when is the best time to add it. I still have to lager for 8 more more weeks, and then I will bottle. I know you all can help with this.

Once the beer thaws, you'd still have a maibock, unless you remove some of the frozen water.

Anyway, when I re-yeast a lager, I do it at bottling. I boil up the priming solution, and cool it in my bottling bucket. Then I stir in 1/3 package of nottingham and rack the beer into that, and proceed with bottling. It works great!

As always Yooper nailed it....

Any lager that freezes on me gets extra yeast for bottling, and for bottling only. Warm it up a little bit and you'd be suprised how many of the yeasties survived their frozen voyage.

Oh yes, fermentation was complete. OG 1.066, FG 1.015, 19 days in primary. 55 degrees and raised for a 48 hour 68 degree rest. The frozen Maibock had been in the lager tank for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info yooper. I have some nottigham in the fridge and will add before bottling!

Latest posts

Back