Frozen keg in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
Has anyone had a keg freeze in their keezer? The air temp never got that cold, but a keg on the lower area in my keezer froze the other day. I think since it was touching the walls of the keezer the coolant lines transferred the colder temps directly into the keg, while the air never got cold enough to tell the JC thermostat to turn off.

Does anyone know of a way around this besides "don't let the keg touch the wall"? I'm sure it'll end up against the wall again. Maybe I can shove a towel in between the wall and keg or another solution just as primative.

Brian

You could get some of that 1" foam board and line the wall with strips of it.

Used styrofoam would work too. Anything that keeps the keg from touching. Two strips horizontally should do it.

take an old inner tube and cut a couple 2" strips and wrap the top and bottom of your kegs this should keep them off the wall
Or
Put a 1" board on the bottom of the kezzer floor so you don't hit the wall.

Haven't had the problem, but what I would try first is some self-adhesive high-density foam sealing strips. You can find the material in the window/door section of a Lowe's or HD. 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick would do the trick. Just cut to length and attach. Condensation might be a problem, so be certain the wall is dry first.

Most of my kegs are touching the wall, and I've never had this problem. I keep the therm set to 36 or 38, and it has a 4 degree variance. I wouldn't want to give up the space any insulation would take up, but if you have space to spare, just adding a strip along the wall to keep the kegs from touching should be fine. You don't want to insulate your kegs from the air or the walls from the air.

Back