Frozen disaster, not beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StressedPenguin

Reaction score
A little while ago I built a keezer like the classic jester type. It stayed in the garage even though it looked awesome mostly because I was lazy and never got around to moving it to the living room. Today I went to clean it out for my movers tomorrow and take the kegs out and clean the lines, and this is what I saw...

imagejpg1_zps8e499d37.jpg

That isn't water, it's ice. Over a foot of it.

Small amount of water on top, about the height of my fingernail.

During the ice crushing before I discovered the usefulness of a crowbar.

Some of the remaining ice on the last keg! It used to be deeper but my first melting attempt was about three pots of boiling water...

Best I can figure it out is that since I live in North Carolina and it has been super humid, the water has been condensing and dripping to the bottom, then freezing. The beer still poured fine and didn't freeze, so I had no reason to open it until today! Looks like when I get to Colorado I'll put a pail of damp rid in there and hope the dryness of the air stops this from happening in the future!

You might want to consider the Eva-dry dehumidifiers. Check them out on amazon. I've been meaning to order one a try it out but I have heard good things about them. I have been rocking the damp rid for a few years and it is a slight pita to have to keep buying the refill bags

The other thing to look into is how is that much water getting into the keezer workout opening it. It must not be air tight.

I bought a couple of the EvaDry units on EBay a while back and use one in the freezer ferm chamber and the other in the kegerator. They work well and are rechargeable.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Eva-dry, I will pick some up when I get out to Colorado. Hopefully I won't need it as much as this, though, since it is way dryer.

The strange thing to me is the sheer volume of water since it filled the bottom of my freezer. There must be 25 gallons of water or more in the bottom, all from condensing water from the air!

The air here in Colorado is very dry (<20% humidity is the norm) so you may not have the same problem, or at least not 25 gallons worth.

What part of Colorado?

In place of damp rid you can always fill a sock with the crystalized kitty litter. far cheper for something similar. Plus you get it in bulk.

Back