Frozen Carboys???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
This is a first for me all prepared to do some major bottling this morning went to go grab my two batches that have been cold crashing when I opened up my chamber ...frozen solid...left my temp probe outside the freezer ...oops ...one is better bottle but the other is a big glass carboy worried about it cracking when it thaws out ??? Thoughts???
EISTripel and EISIrishRed??? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387642689.490917.jpg

I've never made an eis-beer, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd just turn them upside down into a collecting vessel. Collect 40% (maybe?) of the volume and call it good.

I don't think you have to worry about them cracking when thawing - remember that ice is less dense than water (in other words, water expands when freezing.)
if it was going to crack, it would have already (not counting chances of thermal shock, which you are doing the right thing to minimize)
just let it thaw slowly and you should be OK.
I would of course keep close eyes on it to make sure you aren't getting leakage from the carboys.

Back