Frozen bottles... is yeast dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odiwan

Reaction score
I was making a nice Sierria Nevada Pale Ale clone. Just got it bottled and put in my freezer (converted to a fridge) for bottle condition at 68 degrees. However, I forgot to put the probe back in and my freezer ran all night. Long story short, frozen bottles, none broken. They had just went in, so they had no time to condition. What are my options? I do have a kegging system that I could use if necessary to carbonate. Also, any ideas if the beer will be ok?

Thanks, Odiwan Brewobi

Bummer. If it were me, I'd take them out of the fridge and leave them in the mid to upper 70s if possible to bottle condition/carbonate. Give them a few weeks and open one and see.

If its a no-go, then open 'em all and pour into a keg and force carbonate.

That's pretty much what I was planning to do, except I was going to keep the bottles at ale temp. I'll bring them into the house at 78d F. I just went yesterday to get my CO2 tank filled in case they cannot be bottle conditioned. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. This confirms I am on the right track!

I need to remember our friend Charlie Papazian's advice...
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew

Thanks,

Odiwan

Back