Frozen Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bshannon8867

Reaction score
I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and have picked up just enough info to be dangerous.

Here is the situation:

I brewed a wheat beer using an extract recipe and then racked it onto 4 lbs pureed frozen raspberries in a secondary. I kegged it in my old fridge for a week or so and then had to remove it for a few days while I set up my new chest freezer. I put it into the new freezer, but I didn't get the new control dialed in just right and the temp dropped to about 30 degrees (F). I now have the temp issues worked out, but when I pour the beer it looks like hell. My wife and I were joking that is looks like coagulated sewage, but it tastes and smells fine.

I didn't filter the beer so that could be the cause, but I was wondering if freezing and thawing the beer would cause these kinds of problems.

Any input would be appreciated.

IMO, the worse that could happen is a busted carboy, second...dead yeast.

Check the gravity. If it's done then let it sit so the fruit falls out then rack/bottle.

If the gravity is still high then I would repitch some yeast at room temps...you know the rest. :D

Sounds like maybe the beer's still partially frozen (although you'd notice a much stronger alcohol taste if that's the case)?

I froze a couple kegs a few months back...I let them thaw at 55-60F for a couple days, and had no problems with off-flavors or weird textures.

EDIT: just read 99's post...I was assuming the fruit was already out of the keg? If not, I'd guess what you're seeing is raspberry puree. Rack to another keg for serving.

The thought came to me when I took the cheap vodka out of the freezer. The only part that didn’t freeze was the alcohol. I poured off the liquid and mixed up one head banger of a Bloody Mary.

Has anyone played with the freezing of beers to create high gravity output?

Then maybe blend that with something else?

I know some folks that did with apple wine, not really a good drink, just gets you drunk quick. Rather spend my money on some Dewars or Grey Goose if I'm looking to get drunk. Easier than spending a ton of time to make gross, bootlegged liquor.

wildbill said:
Has anyone played with the freezing of beers to create high gravity output?

Check out Eisbocks.

I've done it with mead. Turned a 12% into ~25% and it was great. Like a honey liquer.

That kind of freeze concentration is sometimes called "jacking"

Back