Frozen Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylands

Reaction score
So i have a dark lager that i placed in a spare fridge in my garage to lager....and it froze somewhere in week 4 or five. is there any chance that it is salvageable?

I had a cream ale that this happened to in week one of lagering....
I dethawed it, let it sit in my lagering fridge for a while longer... then, not sure if I had killed the yeast (which it probably did), added some more in... let it sit out for another week and it was actually a party favorite..
So, RDWHAHB, and then dethaw your beer! :D

I dethawed it, let it sit in my lagering fridge for a while longer... then, not sure if I had killed the yeast (which it probably did), added some more in... let it sit out for another week and it was actually a party favorite..

Hmmmm. "Dethaw" = freeze....... hehehe

Your beer is fine. This has happened to a few of us on here, myself included (it helps if the temp. control probe is IN the freezer!). Just let it thaw out, swirl it around a little to mix it back up without aerating it and let it settle back down again before racking. If you're going to naturally carb it, you'll need to add some new yeast. Dry lager yeast is preferable, but you could even add a clean ale yeast. 1/4 to 1/2 packet per 5 gallons should be more than enough.

Remember, if you swirl it around to mix it and release CO2, you may want to compensate for this release in your sugar addition (temperature) calculation.

shudup Bull! :)

I was using a deep freeze as a lagering aperatus... Had some guys come over to install some gutters in the house and they used the power outlets in the garage... they ended up blowing a fuse inside the house. The thing they were checking to see if they had fixed the trouble was the freezer... and in the process the temp probe for my temp controller fell out. I didn't see the trouble for a few days.... so the beer was good and frozen before I started the recovery process.

it was still a damn tasty beer though!! :)

would that make it an ice cream ale? :D

So i have a dark lager that i placed in a spare fridge in my garage to lager....and it froze somewhere in week 4 or five. is there any chance that it is salvageable?

Take some of that ice out, you'll have a nice eisbier.

Back