froze yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sharpie87 said:
If yeast has been frozen will it still work or do you need to replace

Lets start with this: dry or liquid? And if liquid, smack pack or test tube?

Dry would probably hold up better than liquid.

In any case, there is an easy way to tell if its good: make a starter ... If it ferments, you'll know you're good.

You likely killed most of the yeast in that pack.

Search starters there are many threads. But you make a mini beer, usually using DME to make approximately 1-2 liter solution. mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com have good information on starters. You would likely have to do a stepped starter to rescue this pack. If you are uncomfortable with that I would just get new yeast.

Some yeast may have survived. So, you will likely make beer, or worst, have to repitch if it's all dead. But, you can't possibly know your innoculation rate, so you could be severely underpitching. This could harm the beer or make it undesireable to consume. You could do a starter, crash and decant it, that'd give you a better idea of how much healthy yeast you have. Lots of threads in the stickies on starters.

I always look at it as a financial equation- you spend $30 - $40 on ingredients, is it worth risking that coming out poorly over $8 it would cost you to buy a new yeast pack? Or just buy dry yeast, then you're looking at only a couple of bucks.

With the investment in time and ingredients in making a beer, plus the 6 weeks it typically takes, I go conservative- I'd just buy new yeast and count it as a lesson learned.

Small amount of wort, stir plate, 1,000 or 2,000 ml beaker.I think beaker. If no stire plate, shake or stir it around best you can. Check out beergeeknation.com or on youtube. or, I'm sure fb.

Back