froze my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
dang. In an effort to get the yeast to fall out of suspension faster I stuck my starter in the freezer hoping it would hasten the process, since I am brewing a nice light pilsner and didn't want to dump the whole 2L starter in, but got started late on making the starter. Then I got all involved with hop additions and cooling and didn't check on the yeast. Turns out it got a bit too frosty and froze a decent bit. :( So... defrosted it in a lukewarm water bath, stuck it back on the stir plate for an hour to hopefully wake some yeasties up. Then gonna stick it in the fridge or just bite the bullet and dump the whole thing into my beer. I guess worst comes to worst I pick up a bunch of dry lager packets and go with that.

Definitely keep some dry yeast handy. Freezing yeast can easily kill it (ice crystals puncture cell walls). If it didn't all freeze, it might be OK, but if it froze solid, it is very possibly no longer viable.

Back