Froth explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeypower

Reaction score
I'm a TOTAL noob to beer brewing. Made my first batch yesterday.

As I didn't have a fermentation bin, I used a 5gal glass carboy that I use for makin gcider. Well, by this morning it has blocked and then blown off the airlock (very messy ceiling!) and is now cascading froth down the sides of the carboy. I guess that's why y'all use bins, right...?

Anyway I'm losing my precious nectar! Any tips on how to control this mess?

Cheers!

orfy said:
That's what a blow off tube is used for.
Thanks, I just improvised one. Under control now.

In general, is such an immediate and extremely vigorous fermentatin desirable?

FYI, I'm attempting a generic English bitter using "Danstar Dried Ale Yeast" by Lallemand, with combined dry/syrup extract.

It's a mixed bag.

Some say to furious a fermentation creates off flavours, others say a blow of dispenses of some of the unwanted components that create off flavour.

One thing for sure is it shows you the yeasty beasties are happy.

Five gallon carboys are great for secondary but you've already found the problem with using them for the primary. It can be done but ALWAYS use a blow off tube for it.

The good news is that it sounds like you have a good health fermentation going with your first brew. Nice job!

:mug: One more thing to remember is when you are adding your priming sugar you might want to adjust down the quantity of sugar for the volume of brew you have left. Might save you from more messes.:mug:

Thanks all for these tips.

I was thinking of waiting until fermentation is really over, racking and fining with isinglass, then bottling with one of those little carbonation tablets (Sucrose/Glucose) per bottle.

Does that sound sensible? Or in poor taste? I'm kinda making this up as I go along, as I'm really a cider maker at heart :)

Cheers

mickeypower said:
Thanks all for these tips.

I was thinking of waiting until fermentation is really over, racking and fining with isinglass, then bottling with one of those little carbonation tablets (Sucrose/Glucose) per bottle.

Does that sound sensible? Or in poor taste? I'm kinda making this up as I go along, as I'm really a cider maker at heart :)

Cheers

Sounds like a good plan to me.
No reason to add fining if you let it sit long enough for the yeast to clean up after their party. Beer clears a lot easier and faster than cider. It's your beer and a personal choice though so it's up to you.
I've had good luck with the carb tabs. Very convenient and pre-measured way to carb your beer.

Next time make sure your fermenter temp is correct. I'm not saying it wasn't, but if it was too high, that can make for very excited fermentation.

shafferpilot said:
Next time make sure your fermenter temp is correct...
That sounds a very plausible explanation! Actually I didn't even meausre it... I just kinda guessed "this seems cool enough". I'll buy a thermometer for my next batch :eek:

YooperBrew said:
Most people who ferment 5 gallon batches ferment them in a 6.5 gallon carboy, to allow the headspace. I always use a 7.5 gallon bucket.

7.9 here... and I've had a couple larger brews push krausen into the lock still!~!

Back