Frosted Tap (glycol chilled) - anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a bar in my tv room and have a cool cobra tap on it's way. I want it to be frosted on the outside (there's a local german bar that has one and it's sweet). I'm looking for a glycol solution that is compact and not too expensive. All I see are relatively large and > $1000.

Anybody have one of these with a simple way to chill it?

1611540513184.png

Awesome. I saw one of those at a pub in Ireland years ago, really cool.
Only thing I can think of is to DIY one from the AC units? Since it’s just the tap and not a full fermenter, you could use the smallest AC coil?

I hope those frosty faucet towers are mounted inside some kind of drip-catching tray - especially if used in Floreeda where there's no lack of humidity :D
One question: is that something one "fires up" before use or does it have to be kept continuously frosted?

Cheers!

Awesome. I saw one of those at a pub in Ireland years ago, really cool.
Only thing I can think of is to DIY one from the AC units? Since it’s just the tap and not a full fermenter, you could use the smallest AC coil?

That's EXACTLY what I intend on doing. There are a lot of DIY builds on the webz. The bar I'm building will be on the inside of the house, but the chiller, gas and possibly the beer will be outside. Haven't really thought it out fully yet, but I have a perfect place for that. Even have H/C water and a drain plumbed.

I hope those frosty faucet towers are mounted inside some kind of drip-catching tray - especially if used in Floreeda where there's no lack of humidity :D
One question: is that something one "fires up" before use or does it have to be kept continuously frosted?

Cheers!

I intend on keeping frosted 24/7. That's the plan, anyway.

Tap showed up. Heavy! I bought it used, but it's perfect. Gonna change the taps out for my 650ss Perlicks (assuming there is no problem there).

Still have to build the bar, so not putting it into service until late spring. Wife is pizzed I haven't finished crown moulding, fence, etc. But I might get a used AC and start toying around with that and see if I can get a nice frost on this thing, make sure no glycol leaks.

1612012169359.png

Back