From growler to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntervdg

Reaction score
Is there a way to take a beer I buy in a growler and put it into bottles so it lasts longer?

You're going to have a tough time I think. Unless you have a mini siphon I don't see how you would get the beer into the bottles without totally oxygenating it and losing a bunch of carbonation. Even then, I don't think siphoning carbonated beer is that easy even when cold. If you somehow managed it the beer would still have undergone 2 transfers so there's bound to be some loss of carbonation and oxygen exposure.

As stated, you may get some oxidation with the transfers, but you can try the carbonater cap and a plastic bottle so you can keep the beer under CO2. Of course you would already have to have the ability to keg beer.

The reason I wanted to find this out is because I'm really liking a pumpkin beer and it's only here for so long. So I was thinking about buying growlers of it and bottling myself so I can enjoy it for longer.

I'm taking from your post, that ya' bottle exclusively?

Do you have a place to chill a Corny or Sanke keg, til you could beg or borrow, the equipment needed to maintain and dispense it?

Yes I do have room for a corny keg. I have a deep freezer I can put them in. But I have never kegged before.

I hadn't kegged either, until I started doing it.
Started brewing with a buddy years ago, who never bottled, and when I started, I never planned on bottling.

So, can you borrow the items needed to maintain and dispense it?

Where do ya' live?

Post it under your "handle" there.

I live in Washington state. I don't know anyone that kegs so I would have to buy all the equipment. Is it very expensive to start from scratch?

That depends on how good of a shopper you are, and how handy you are at D I Y projects, if you are "deadly" on Craigslist finds, etc.....

Just a WAG here, but since you have a freezer you can use, you could PROBABLY, come up with all you need to have a BASIC keg system, in the 200 dollar range.

I asked your location, 'cause I could make ya' a hell of a deal on a used pin lock keg IF, you were in my area.

'Cause I ain't emptying, and cleaning, and shipping one!

Latest posts

Back