From crystal to mud......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have had an issue lately that has confused the heck out of me - clear beer going very cloudy.

By that I mean that batches that even looked good while cold-crashing are turning to mud. I have been lagering a barley wine since April and it is muddy. A red IPA went from wonderfully clear - almost brilliant - in the cold crash (gravity sample) to very cloudy.

Beers on either end of these batches made with the same base malt are clear as can be and the process as I see it is relatively unchanged, so needless to say I am confused.

Can anyone offer insight or suggest a reasonable remedial action?

I've never had this happen other than when due to chill haze.

Is your serving temp colder than your cold crash temp and do they clear up as the beer warms up or stay cloudy?

Are you dry hopping at all after the cold crash?

Do they still taste the same and good?

Are you kegging? If so how many “samples” have you pulled? I have yet to cut my dip tubes and the first couple pours usually have some yeast pick up but after that the beer comes out clear so it doesn’t bother me much.

Back