From CNN: 'Georgia breweries dry up'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really wacky. I've had a pint at about thirty times as many breweries as I've had tours, I don't see the connection. Unless people in Georgia just expect freebies all the time.

I am a bit confused though what has changed? They still get samples of beer on the tours.

New rules governing brewery tours could reduce that number to zero, says Fred Bensch, owner of Sweetwater Brewing (sweetwaterbrew.com) in Atlanta, by driving away thirsty crowds and eliminating the brewers' best marketing tool.

They aren't saying that they can't give tours, just that you can only have a sample of beer instead of handing out full pints. In Indiana, as far as i know, it is illegal for bars or breweries to give away free alcohol anyway, such as full pints on a tour. I could be wrong though, it could be a local thing, I do live in a college town. I would think that the brewers would be a little happier because they won't be giving away as much beer. I think that there is some other reason behind the decline in breweries other than this.

Cheers

Has a long standing volunteer there and have done LOTS of drinking with them. That place place can have as many as 2000 people for some of their "tours", it sometimes take on a festival attitude. Anyone in the Atlanta area needs to go at least once.

Been there done that. I think the idea is to change the "tours" into legitimate tours.

Here is how I see it:
Sweetwater offers "tours" on Wed - Fri, you give them $X for a glass (I think the "tour" is technically free). You get so many tickets for "tastes" during the tour. [Almost] no one goes on the tour (or realizes that there is one for that matter). People hang out drink and listen to the live music.

Essentially the brewery is "selling" their beer to people on the "tour" since most people think they are paying for beer when they buy the glass. They make a lot of money this way since they don't have to give any cut to the distributor/bar.

The bars in the area get pissed since they have to pay to maintain a liquor license and Sweetwater doesn't. They complain to the distributor who has a lot of political clout and get the rules changes.

I don't think these rules have any effect on the number of breweries in Georgia. Georgia is not a beer state. Can't sell alcohol on Sundays, the governor like most of the north part of the state believe that drinking is a sin.

Compare Georgia to its neighboring states (Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee) none of these states boast a huge number of breweries and IMO it is not because of the laws but because the political and religious climate are not supportive of beer culture. In Colorado "if you brew they will drink," not so in the Southeast.

EDIT: I guess they do charge admission to the tour, I thought it used to be free as I remeber people refusing the glass and getting plastic cups for their tastings.

I've heard about 'tours' like this, but have never been to a brewery that gave more than small samples. In Oregon, you'd need three different licenses and you'd still be limited on what you could give people. Maybe that explains why we have so few breweries here. I have to drive almost 35 miles to get to one.

david_42 said:
I've heard about 'tours' like this, but have never been to a brewery that gave more than small samples. In Oregon, you'd need three different licenses and you'd still be limited on what you could give people. Maybe that explains why we have so few breweries here. I have to drive almost 35 miles to get to one.

We were out at Anchor Brewing in July and took the tour. At the end they take you to the tap room and let you sample a 375ml of all of their beers on tap, which was 6, and you can retaste as much as you like. Pretty sweet. Our tour was at 10am and by 11:30 I had the equivalent of 4 pints! Pretty good stuff too, several we don't see here in KY.

The pun using fermenting is pathetic journalism if you ask me.

Sorry, i just get hanged up on that type of stuff.

The only regulation going on these days seems to be designed to knock the small
businesses down , prescription drug deaths and illnesses are on the rise , food is contaminated and of course toys are lead filled . Hurray for degegulation !

Klainmeister said:
The pun using fermenting is pathetic journalism if you ask me.

Sorry, i just get hanged up on that type of stuff.

Bothered me as well, just like "under pressure" and "verboten".

It IS CNN... ;)

Back