from brew kit to Keg options.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT

Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking into home brew kits. I don't want to spend a whole lot and want to get into it with an easy to use all inclusive kit. What i have found so far:

MR. BEER

Beer Machine

Coopers Beer maker

I like the coopers kit, it has better reviews and makes more beer!, but I like that the other two kits can be stored in the fridge and you have draught beer. Is there some sort of inexpensive kit that I can get to put beer from the coopers kit in a small keg that I can store in my extra home fridge? Even if its only a few gallons and I can bottle the rest of it.

Any help is appreciated guys!

Forget the Beer Machine. Mr. Beer won't dispence carbonated brew from it's fermenter-keg.

From the COOPERS fermenter I've transferred straight into a keg. I have a couple 2 1/2 gal Corny kegs that fit nicely in the fridge along with the CO2 bottle.

If you're just starting, MR BEER and the COOPERS set-ups make excellent beer. Start with the bottles that come with them and don't make the mistake I made. As soon as you finish bottling your first batch, start another. Or you'll run out and have to wait.

Thanks for the tips, I was kind of set on coopers and its ability to brew more.

I don't want to spend more than necessasary, but want something that gets the job done. where do you get the 2 1/2 gal kegs and what do you use to transfer the beer to them? That sounds like what I'm looking for.

I could keg 2 1/2 gallons, bottle the rest and start the next batch.

Not to rain on the Cooper's Kit's parade, but for 10 bucks more you can get this kit from Midwest. It has a large bucket that you can use for your primary fermenter, and two 5 gallon better bottles that can either be used as secondaries (so you can put another batch into the bucket in a week or so) or for smaller brews that don't have huge krausen.

Wife gave me a Coopers kit last over a year ago. Still use the fermenter and hydrometer from that kit. That was a great start for me. Wish I had kept more of the bottles, but I really love that fermenter. Nice large open mouth and easy to clean. Also, the spigots for bottling buckets will screw right into your Coopers fermenter. Makes for easier cleaning when you can change out the spigot each brew and soak it well to get it all cleaned.

Do a few batches, bottle with their stuff then see what you want to do.

Back