Frist brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krambeck

Reaction score
I brewed up a kit IPA about 3 weeks ago, and am wondering if I should rack it to secondary or not. I know that there is a lot of discussions on the pros vs. cons of doing a secondary at all on here, and I was planning on it, however, I was going to work on moving it over last week (just since its my first batch, that's what the instructions say, etc), but since it hasn't been moved over yet should I just give it a couple more days (check the gravity over the next couple of days, yadda yadda yadda) and throw it into bottles?

* and for the record, I didn't move it over to secondary due to the fact that i am waiting for a auto-siphon from Austin brewing, and well, they are taking forever. At least I will have a couple more kits, and give all-grain a shot once my primary is open! ;)

At 3 weeks, it could be done. Take some gravity readings and taste it to be sure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

* and for the record, I didn't move it over to secondary due to the fact that i am waiting for a auto-siphon from Austin brewing, and well, they are taking forever. At least I will have a couple more kits, and give all-grain a shot once my primary is open! ;)

just as an FYI, there was a discussion on another thread about the backups at Austin Homebrewing Supply... they have apparently gotten far more response than they expected for their 20th anniversary sale, to the point of having to hire extra people to try to keep up with demand. Only mention this because I didn't want you thinking the fact that they are "taking forever" is indicative of their normal processing times. I ordered from them for the first time a week or two ago and had the same experience you did, and was a bit frustrated by it. Now I understand where the delay came from. :p

Im not that frustrated with them, I realize that they are probably getting a TON more response then they expected. And I should be letting my beer sit and ferment anyway, so its easier to leave it be this way.

Do also have an extra oz of hops coming, just incase I do decided to rack it over to secondary. Might give that a shot for a week to see how it comes out.

I recently did a black IPA and a 90 minute IPA. I would rack and dry hop if I were you. It's a great way to impart real hop aroma that makes a home brewed IPA a stand-out.

Back